S3 Mirror refurb, is it possible & base plates?

GaryStewart07

Reaction score
Got myself a set of OEM S3 mirrors, however they are quite badly scratched in places.

Given they are brushed aluminium, is it possible to refurb them? Will a paint shop do them, perhaps with wet+dry sandpaper?

Secondly I think I need to replace the base plates also as my current mirrors are replica S3 mirrors and don't sit perfect only on the bases and have a wad of glue around them, assuming no more nails or something...FML!

How easy are these to get hold of and what does the whole assembly look like, can't see to find anything on it?

Any help appreciated :)

Hi Mate, you don't give any info on your car, apart from it's an A3 8P. The wing mirrors are different sizes across the 8P's, so you need to give the year of your car & that of the mirrors you're wanting to fit at the very least.

Hi Mate, you don't give any info on your car, apart from it's an A3 8P. The wing mirrors are different sizes across the 8P's, so you need to give the year of your car & that of the mirrors you're wanting to fit at the very least.

Ahhh my bad, I just assumed all 8P's were the same for the mirrors. My own one is a 2004 3dr 2.0ltr FSI Sport. The mirrors that I bought are these:

Audi RS3 / S3 Wing Mirrors (pair), Also Fit VW Golf | eBay

Hope the link of works.

Cheers

Those are known across the site as "Dumbos" because they're larger than previous incarnations. They're for late 2008 facelift models, but can apparently be fitted to earlier models (like yours) with bit of jiggery pokery (not to include No More Nails. lol). Your car has indicators on the wings, Yes? These have LED indicators built in and would need wiring in.

Private Message member NHN (Nigel). he'll let you know what needs doing for a good fitting.

Oh, and as they're Aluminium, you should be able to polish out any light marks.

Reactions: NHN
Those are known across the site as "Dumbos" because they're larger than previous incarnations. They're for late 2008 facelift models, but can apparently be fitted to earlier models (like yours) with bit of jiggery pokery (not to include No More Nails. lol). Your car has indicators on the wings, Yes? These have LED indicators built in and would need wiring in.

Private Message member NHN (Nigel). he'll let you know what needs doing for a good fitting.

Oh, and as they're Aluminium, you should be able to polish out any light marks.

Ahhhh this I didn't know! Just assumed they were all the same! That's what I get for being a novice!! Cheers for the info

Are all 8p S3 mirrors aluminium? or is it only rs3 or certain years??

All 8P S3's have the silver thief magnets. AFAIK it was the 8L that had alu ones. On the 8P it's just silver paint.

I personally think they look cack. VW had the right idea painting the R mirrors black:yes:

Thanks for the mention :)

Dumbos are 08-10 & those are 10-13, you would need new bases & I would hazard a guess those were nicked of a car tbh, as you don't get those units with the backplates & mirror glass without the bases usually, any signs of the underneath's having been snapped of the bases, although they could of removed the broken pieces to make it less obvious.

Reactions: Artimus

Dumbos are 08-10 & those are 10-13, you would need new bases & I would hazard a guess those were nicked of a car tbh, as you don't get those units with the backplates & mirror glass without the bases usually, any signs of the underneath's having been snapped of the bases, although they could of removed the broken pieces to make it less obvious.

What would be the way forward here then? Happy enough to get new bases, I just want them fitted :(

I checked them and they are both exactly the same size too.

Hi, really just wanted to clarify that these mirrors are not stolen in any way. I contacted the chap 1st that was breaking an S3 from yard and selling on fits, I had a look over the bottoms on these and there is no marks or anything to suggest that they have been ripped off at all.

I would hate to think of anyone getting their mirrors stolen and would not partake in buying stolen parts. At the same time I don't wanna pay for brand new ones from Audi at £500 a pop per mirror, just looking for an upgrade thats all.

Just wanted to clarify this thats all.

Cheers

Reactions: Artimus