S3 : Milltek.. Full Exhaust !

The R32 sounds better even with the stock exhaust. The S3 sounds like a normal A3 1.6.
But personally i'm not after the sound, i'm after the performance :)

S3 doesn't sound thaaat bad.. OK, no match for a mk2 R32 on full chat :(
but once the S is above 4.5krpm it does take on a much harder rasp :D .

-Sal-

Is it worth it for about 3bhp i remember i had loads of trouble with my old one on my old s3 kept taking it back to awesome and they could not put it right, won,t be making the same mistake again just a custom remap will do me.if you know of anyone doing these let me know thanks

jamos3 said:
Is it worth it for about 3bhp i remember i had loads of trouble with my old one on my old s3 kept taking it back to awesome and they could not put it right,

Got to agree with you, why replace something that will probably last for about 7yrs with something that in the long run will be weaker and is likely to cause problems.. It doesn't sound any different on the Video than the standard one to me, all ******** IMO.

Mark

Not to my taste's to be honest, tailpipes look crap and it doesn't actually sound that good either, just sounds like a typical Saxo exhaust!

As for performance, you will get more power using a hi flow CAT and will cost you less and you will keep the standard nice looking exhaust pipes.

Nothing wrong with standard S3 exhaust IMO. A 4-pot turbo will never sound like a v6 or straight 6, but Audi have done a ****** good job. It's got induction noise, turbo noise, recirc-chirp/whistle on gear change, and a decent exhaust sound. What more could you want?

Also don't believe the hype of 10-15bhp from an exhaust, 3bhp if you're lucky.

But please get the car rolling roaded before and after, just to see if there is a difference.

Good luck.

AL

Well I like the S3 but if I could tune the "sound" would like to hear less turbo, a tiny bit more induction and a tad deeper exhaust... if any of this makes sense... lol

Pedro

AL_B said:
Also don't believe the hype of 10-15bhp from an exhaust, 3bhp if you're lucky.

I think you will see 10-15bhp from an exhaust and CAT as the back pressure makes a massive difference to turbo'd engines especially when the turbo is close to the CAT.

My old scooby (MY99 UK Turbo) with Scoobysport decat centre and backbox gave typical gains of 12-14bhp.. so I'd imagine that exhaust and CAT should IMO give gains of >3bhp ! :)

You'd hope so anyhow.. :think:

-Sal-

I have dyno tested my s3 with VAG COM last week and i will make another test when the Milltek turbo-back exhaust will be fitted. Also i will be monitoring boost figures.

Here is what the Milltek Turbo-Back exhaust includes:
- Large-bore Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Catalyst (3.00")
- Connecting Pipe (3.00")
- Centre Section (2.75")
- Rear Silencer (2.75")

Only the turbo-back exhaust will not make a big difference, but when i will remap the car it will have extra 15-20 BHP over a remaped S3 with stock exhaust.

@normski, yes i am talking stock. I was told the Milltek is 20-25% louder, which is more than enough for me.

aiculedtzu said:
@normski, yes i am talking stock. I was told the Milltek is 20-25% louder, which is more than enough for me.

I assumed you were. There is no way the S3 and an A3 1.6 sound the same. My monster-in-law has the latter, and it sounds nothing like...

What's the difference between a:
a) Turbo-Back Exhaust System
&
b) Full exhaust system + hi-flow cat

@emzino, they mean pretty much the same thing. But on N/A cars the "full exhaust" also includes the manifold.

@normski, maybe i exaggerated a little, but from inside the car it feels the same. In the S3 when i put my foot down all can i hear is the turbo whistling, the exhaust note is very very subtle.

Here is a video i found on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCvAHmlY50

Aha. So i'd be getting the Turbo back would I...

aiculedtzu

Keep us posted. (Do some vids too :) )

I hope there are power gains to be made. If so, then there's the potential of 320-330bhp from just a chip and exhaust, which would be excellent.

AL

AL_B said:
If so, then there's the potential of 320-330bhp from just a chip and exhaust, which would be excellent.

AL

That would be unpolite and arrogant...lol!! I already feel bad with the arrogance my A3 (yes let's call it an A3!) overtakes grown up traffic like 5-7 series BMWs, Mercs and the lot... I really feel bad about my Q car.... what a shame....

Pedro

I had a lot of experience with Milltek and they do offer decent performance increases. Typically around 10bhp for a cat back system. The turbo back system with the 200 cell sports cat improves things to a much larger degree. With the larger bore and free flowing cat, the turbo will run with less stress as it can get rid of the gas's alot easier.

Where I agree a sports exhaust system is not always a huge benefit on a standard car, they are a very worthwhile compliment to a re-map and allow the re-map to work better.

I have ordered the cat back system for mine, Milltek will be fitting it within the next few weeks when the next batch are manufactured.

But........Although I am a big fan of Milltek, I think the down pipe and 200 cell sports cat is a little expensive at £600 alone, I am looking to keep the standard down pipe section but have the actual cat replaced with a 200 cell cat which should cost no more than £2/300 quid. This should in effect give the gains as the Milltek version.

Milltek had my Zafira GSI Turbo to develop the Zafira GSi system 3 years ago and there quality is fantastic, they are better than the factory system.

Rumour has it that Milltek are actually working on systems to be fitted by Audi as OE equipment.

emzino said:
What's the difference between a:
a) Turbo-Back Exhaust System
&
b) Full exhaust system + hi-flow cat

You Can actually have Cat Back - which is everything after the cat replaced. Turbo Back - which is Downpipes, highflow cats and exhaust and Full suystem which as said above would normally dictate Manifold, plus the rest.

Al_B - MTM are basically quoting Remap + turbo back to be IRO 330bhp. I appreciate there is a degree of tuner interpretation of rr results, but the German tuners are normally fairly good with the figures they produce.

If Miltek are going to start producing stuff for factory then I do hope they get stuf to fit better - the number of 8L S3 exhausts I have seen that just dont fit is staggering, and I know a few S4 owners who have needed more than one try to get the rear to look right.

im really tempted to get a miltek for my tdi - just not sure if i want to get a full system, just the back box or stuff and get different tail pipes :(

would be nice though!

Getting tempted :) .. but would have to be with remap, DV to make full use of improved airflow.

-Sal-

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Just one last question to get my mind clear, am I able to get a Turbo-Back fitted to my 2.0TDI?

yes! but not really worth the money - with the derv you will only really see an increase of maybe 3hp as apposed to the petrol which you would get more!

If your after a nice sounding exhaust that looks good and get a few extra BHP then the cat back system is probably the one for you.

I would only recomend the full system if you into tuning where the advantage is more apparent.

I have to say I have not experienced Milltek for Audi's yet but all the ones I have fitted on various Vauxhalls have been a perfect fit every time.

It was interesting though, when I went to Millteks factory to enquire about one for my A3, they asked if mine was an S-Line, which it is and they are going to fit it for free (The labour) as they want to check quality of fitment.

I think they like to try cars from time to time to ensure the quality of fitment etc is continous.

Look what the postman brought me yesterday :D

image525rk3.jpg

Hmm. Well I definitely want something which will give me the tuning advantage because i'm gonna go all out with mine:

remap, exhaust, hybrid turbo hopefully later down the line etc etc.

I was at first going to go for Miltek system + hi-flow cat but this turbo-back seems better for my TDI but apparently its much better for petrol cars instead.

And nowwwwwwwwww im reading about a 200 cell cat... that better than a hi-flow cat?
Money is no problem here. I mean it is but im willing to work for it!

Shao_khan said:
You Can actually have Cat Back - which is everything after the cat replaced. Turbo Back - which is Downpipes, highflow cats and exhaust and Full suystem which as said above would normally dictate Manifold, plus the rest.

Al_B - MTM are basically quoting Remap + turbo back to be IRO 330bhp. I appreciate there is a degree of tuner interpretation of rr results, but the German tuners are normally fairly good with the figures they produce.

If Miltek are going to start producing stuff for factory then I do hope they get stuf to fit better - the number of 8L S3 exhausts I have seen that just dont fit is staggering, and I know a few S4 owners who have needed more than one try to get the rear to look right.

Dude, have you managed to get a 1.6's exhaust for your S3 yet?

emzino said:
Hmm. Well I definitely want something which will give me the tuning advantage because i'm gonna go all out with mine:

remap, exhaust, hybrid turbo hopefully later down the line etc etc.

I was at first going to go for Miltek system + hi-flow cat but this turbo-back seems better for my TDI but apparently its much better for petrol cars instead.

And nowwwwwwwwww im reading about a 200 cell cat... that better than a hi-flow cat?
Money is no problem here. I mean it is but im willing to work for it!

The freee flow cat and 200 cell cat are the same thins, just different terminology.

So if you get the Milltek turbo back system, you will get the 200 cell cat. The standard cats are normally a 350-400 cell cat, so you see how much they will flow better.

MattS said:
The freee flow cat and 200 cell cat are the same thins, just different terminology.

So if you get the Milltek turbo back system, you will get the 200 cell cat. The standard cats are normally a 350-400 cell cat, so you see how much they will flow better.

Aha I see. By the way, when you say free flow cat you mean hi-flow right... just so I don't get confused :keule: I assume you do mean that :readit:

Oh right. Now is it that the lower the cell, the better if will flow?

emzino said:
Aha I see. By the way, when you say free flow cat you mean hi-flow right... just so I don't get confused :keule: I assume you do mean that :readit:

Oh right. Now is it that the lower the cell, the better if will flow?

Free Flow/High Flow, all means the same thing.

Regarding the flow capabilities, a 400 cell cat is very dense, imagine trying to breath through Cadbury's Wisper, small bubbles, less airation so the air/gas would have a harder job to get through.

With a 200 Cell cat, it will be like an Aero bar, much bigger bubbles so the air/gas would find it easier to get through.

I know this is a weird way of explaining it but I am at present eating an aero!!!!

It basically means that there is less restriction in a 200 cell cat than a 400 cell cat.

Hope this helps.

MattS said:
Free Flow/High Flow, all means the same thing.

Regarding the flow capabilities, a 400 cell cat is very dense, imagine trying to breath through Cadbury's Wisper, small bubbles, less airation so the air/gas would have a harder job to get through.

With a 200 Cell cat, it will be like an Aero bar, much bigger bubbles so the air/gas would find it easier to get through.

I know this is a weird way of explaining it but I am at present eating an aero!!!!

It basically means that there is less restriction in a 200 cell cat than a 400 cell cat.

Hope this helps.

Ok I understand about the free flow/hi-flow stuff now :idea:

Very good way of putting it, lol I love aero's too :icon_thumright:

Now one last question MattS... I got a 2.0TDI 8P. What's the best setup to have? I'm gonna get it custom coded on rolling road by MTM and it's advised to get this done before hand so everything can be taken into perspective.

Now i'm definite on the 200cell/hi-flow CAT but as for the actual system, would it be a turbo back or just a standard miltek full system. I still get thrown off with that.

Many thanks for your help.

the best one you could get is a complete custom made one for about the same price which would be manifold,3"down pipe 100 cell sports cat,3"straight through with silencers, this would be loud though it,s what i had on my old s3 with a turbo upgrade. peolple like blueflame pipeworx and i think jbs do them