1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 making strange noise VIDEO included!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AudiS3Quattro, May 10, 2011.

1. AudiS3Quattro

AudiS3Quattro Member

[May 10, 2011]
    Just got my car back from the garage, clutch has been replaced, new drop links, new wish bone bushes, new anti roll bar bushes tracking has been done and a new ball joint, but took the car out tonight and when i put my foot down and dont change gear, just keep the car at high revs and back off the acceleration just letting the engine slow me down, i get this strange noise, it almost like a buzzing/vibrating noise, i have added a video, any feed back would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[May 10, 2011]
    Dont want to alarm you but s3gaz had a similar noise when his bearings went in the turbo, basicaly the comp wheel was moving about an inch on the shaft, easily checkable with the tip off...
    Other than that check your heat shields behind the bulk head and underneath above the cats....
    I hope its something easy....
  4. AudiS3Quattro

AudiS3Quattro Member

[May 10, 2011]
    thanks for the quick reply, to be honest it sounds like its coming from the cat area, if it were the turbo, would there be any symptoms on spool up and boost?
  5. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[May 10, 2011]
    Sounds like a heat shield to me....
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[May 10, 2011]
    Well there wasnt on his car, no oil loss or spool issues, He just took the tip off and the play was shocking...A good inch in and out, no up and down movement.....
    It would soon have been catastrophic im sure....he has gone hybrid now
    hopefully in your case its simple...
  7. crazychris

crazychris Member

[May 10, 2011]
    Hi bud my 1.8TS was doing this the other week turns out the studs on the chassis where the nuts screw in place to hold the heat shields up the threads had rusted but nothing tie wraps couldn't fix and now she's as quiet as a mouse apart from the nasty perished rear axle bushes lol
  8. AudiS3Quattro

AudiS3Quattro Member

[May 10, 2011]
    thanks for the help everyone, i will check both options out tomorrow!