S3 knocking noise?

gynads

Reaction score
Hi all, under spirited gear changes im getting a clunking/knocking, possibly coming from offside front but not 100% sure also feels a little vague with slight knocking when cornering when under power? feels a bit like CV joint? didnt these have a problem with steering racks?

Yep, rack problems are well documented.
Be surprised if there are other drivetrain issues unless you have mega miles.?

Only 20k Paul. are the racks on a recall?

gynads

So you have a knocking noise when you change gear, Yet you think its the steering rack???

Try checking your engine mountings first mate as that is more like your problem, the engine or gearbox are rocking back on the mounts when you dip the clutch to change gear causing the clunk and probably a dificult gear change also?

Engine mounts are visiable either side of the engine but there is a gear box mount out of view behind the engine set to one side I would expect this to be your culprit.

Has any work been done to the car recently? any more symptoms to work from?

Gaz m

Hi Gaz, I have recently gone for stage 2+. My first thought was gearbox mount. Are these fairly easy to change? Maybe worth upgrading anyway? I'll have a look when i get back onshore

Ahh!

You have my problem, never home to fix or drive the ****** cars! Where abouts in the country are you? I havent changed one but a few have on the site so a search will help you for information as to the symptoms they had and the solution used to fix it.

I would suggest there would be a lot more syptoms if it was a failing steering rack mate.
There are a few companies that do upgraded mounts for the S3 so that is a good option for the future.

Gaz m

If you have just gone Stage 2 then the exhaust must have been changes recently right?
Could it be that knocking?

The racks arent recall, just warranty.

Good luck

Paul

Thats a very good point Paul!

After fitting they will settle down over a few weeks, and as Paul say's this could also be a cause you need to look at?

Any other symptoms or information mate?

Gaz m

Ahh!

You have my problem, never home to fix or drive the ****** cars! Where abouts in the country are you? I havent changed one but a few have on the site so a search will help you for information as to the symptoms they had and the solution used to fix it.

I would suggest there would be a lot more syptoms if it was a failing steering rack mate.
There are a few companies that do upgraded mounts for the S3 so that is a good option for the future.

Gaz m

ha yeah thats about it! keeps the mileage down i guess! I'm in Lincolnshire bud. I'll do a search.

If you have just gone Stage 2 then the exhaust must have been changes recently right?
Could it be that knocking?

The racks arent recall, just warranty.

Good luck

Paul

yeah could be, need to get it on the ramp to have a look see.

Thats a very good point Paul!

After fitting they will settle down over a few weeks, and as Paul say's this could also be a cause you need to look at?

Any other symptoms or information mate?

Gaz m

I'm sure it was doing it on stage 2, when i just had the downpipe etc, and after, when i had the rest of the system fitted

I think mine is knocking sort of get a knock when i reverse of my drive on lock I have a tiny half inch curb and seems to knock when I drive over this...

On the passenger side ... S3 07 plate 35k...

Gynads, if you fitted a Milltek DP, it should come with a Powerflex mount, the one below the gearbox. If the sound started after you fitted the DP, the problem should be easy to spot.

Ah ok, is this supplied to prevent this knocking? I bought it from a guy on here along with the sports cat, and just bought a new cat back system