S3 Intercooler differences

H17YD L

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the aluminium end tank intercoolers where standard fit on the S3 if ever.

Turns out I only have the plastic end tank variety!

I've been informed that I will need the ally tank version to get better power from my 2+ map because the flow of the plastic one is nowhere near as good!

Any info welcome!

Does anyone know when the aluminium end tank intercoolers where standard fit on the S3 if ever.

Turns out I only have the plastic end tank variety!

I've been informed that I will need the ally tank version to get better power from my 2+ map because the flow of the plastic one is nowhere near as good!

Any info welcome!

Horse manure, the plastic end tank is absolutely fine.

And yes early models had alu.

You won't have a problem.

Cheers mate!
Just found a load of info on the MK5 forum and they seem to be under the same impression. I can understand the ally to be a better piece of kit but not that much better that the plastic end tanks should cause me a problem.

Cheers mate!
Just found a load of info on the MK5 forum and they seem to be under the same impression. I can understand the ally to be a better piece of kit but not that much better that the plastic end tanks should cause me a problem.

If you want to be really anal, you could use Forge hoses, but really no need.

If anything rip the S3 intercooler off, buy one like mine, and you have an instant 22bhp. (well I did)

Yeh! That's the best option to go for, that's where I would see a massive improvement rather than another OEM part.