S3 in high altitudes/coldness

M

mjr901

Every year I drive to France, go skiing. Usually take the Shogun but have since sold that.

Now I know with the Shogun 3.2 Turbo Diesel at high altitude (resort is pretty high) and it being pretty cold, usually -6 and below(shogun started in -18 year before last!) for a constant week, it ran like a bit of a pig even after starting everyday and being driven, so I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience with an S3 in these conditions or better, a mapped one.

As soon as you go to the bottom of the mountain it ran better and better. Obviously more Oxygen.

How badly is the TFSI/petrol engine affected?

(Also after a ski rack this year if anyone has given the sport up!)

I've got a TDI sportback and that ran fine at altitude even down to -26 for a week, there were a few spluttery starts. I also used to have a megane 225 sport remapped to 250 and you could definately tell the difference due to oxygen starvation. Around 1000m to 1500m there wasn't much difference I went all the way up to 2840m (Col de la Bonette) in the summer and there was a massive difference. It really felt like the engine was straining to get the air it needed. My advice would be to not keep your foot planted all the time. At the end of the day it will still be quicker than a 1.6 N/A

I've got a TDI sportback and that ran fine at altitude even down to -26 for a week, there were a few spluttery starts. I also used to have a megane 225 sport remapped to 250 and you could definately tell the difference due to oxygen starvation. Around 1000m to 1500m there wasn't much difference I went all the way up to 2840m (Col de la Bonette) in the summer and there was a massive difference. It really felt like the engine was straining to get the air it needed. My advice would be to not keep your foot planted all the time. At the end of the day it will still be quicker than a 1.6 N/A

I don't plan on doing ripping the Tarmac up, I'll have ski's on the roof and a car full of loot!

Yikes 2840m is flamin high, no wonder it struggled. I usually only go as high as Tignes (2100m ish) by car and then Ski further up above 3000m using the funicular.

I think I'll give it a run everyday and perhaps buy a decent car cover for it. Keep the worst away.

Wish it was winter now, I just want to Ski all year round!!