S3 - Hesitation/flat spot - Plugs???

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
I have recently noticed a flat spot in my S3, specially in 5th gear and above 6000 rpms....I know the turbo is running out of breath but it is quite noticeable, it is like the revs stop rising for a second or two at about 6300-6400 rpm and then they continue.

I´ve seen many threads where sparkplugs were an issue, such as Warrecox for example.

Anyone else is having such problems? The car is "new", only 2000 kms but most of it has been break in, and my commute to work everyday is quite short so there is a chance they are fouling.

I am planning on installing the NGK iridiums, most guys on the US run them on their 2.0t and say its great. Has anyone considered running one step colder plug? I am getting a remap soon....

Thanks in advance for help!
Demian

Most of the problems experienced have been on remapped cars so your case is unusual.

Are you using 98 ron fuel ?

I am using the best fuel available here. But, maybe it isnt as good, in fact Audi here states the car has 255 hp only (reduced by software) due to possible lower quality fuels.

Who knows...

nothing to report on mine..

The only thing I noticed on mine was when by mistake I put 95 octane rating fuel instead of 98, for me it was very noticialbe the lost in power.

but dont know mate...

Pedro

Is anyone on the forum running colder plugs on their S3? The guys on vortex are running one step colder plugs on their 2.0T engines....

I did read Audi restrict performance in some countries due to poor fuel etc, this may be a characteristic of the different engine map.

Don't forget its barely run in and brand new! Mine was getting quicker and smoother till about 10 k

DemianM said:
I am using the best fuel available here. But, maybe it isnt as good, in fact Audi here states the car has 255 hp only (reduced by software) due to possible lower quality fuels.

Who knows...
I read somewhere it's more to do with the heat than anything?
Though I wish it was the same case here!:cold:

The reason given for the lowering of the peak power is because of "slight modifications for ‘hot climate’ countries".
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/audi-s3.htm

A correction has been made in this article due to conflicting information. The Australian spec Audi S3 achieves a 0-100km/h time of 5.9-seconds - instead of 5.7-seconds. This is due to an alternative intercooler fitted for hotter operating environments.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/8136/2007-audi-s3-review/3/

Good to know this! I doubt our country gets the uprated cooler though.....I had also thought the car could still use a little more break in, but after reading so many cases of misfires I was a little sceptic....since I plan to get a remap next week.

Run it in a bit more, its no-where near run in and I'm sure it will improve!

I also live in Mexico and haven't seen the issue you are indicating, perhaps the gas station you are visiting is pouring too much water on the mix. you know that happens here right?
Change to another gas station :scared2:

DemianM said:
I have recently noticed a flat spot in my S3, specially in 5th gear and above 6000 rpms....I know the turbo is running out of breath but it is quite noticeable, it is like the revs stop rising for a second or two at about 6300-6400 rpm and then they continue.

I´ve seen many threads where sparkplugs were an issue, such as Warrecox for example.

Anyone else is having such problems? The car is "new", only 2000 kms but most of it has been break in, and my commute to work everyday is quite short so there is a chance they are fouling.

I am planning on installing the NGK iridiums, most guys on the US run them on their 2.0t and say its great. Has anyone considered running one step colder plug? I am getting a remap soon....

Thanks in advance for help!
Demian

Are you in South Africa. If so, I know what you are talking about esp if u live in Jhb. It is octane !!! It appears to me that some petrol stations have 93 RON in their 95 RON tanks. I find that Sasol is the most consistent. If u actually in Jhb, do your self a favour and drive down to Durban.
WOWEEEE, boy does the S3 come alive. It is chalk and cheese to the high veld. I am in Durban this weekend and having loads of fun in the S3.
For the record, I make 186 kw in Jhb on the VAG-COM, and 197 kw in Durban. I have heard from a source that the very first batch of S3's ( which I have 1 of), were Euro 195kw spec.

Not me in my case! I am in south america! Always get fuel from the best fuel station brand here...but who knows! :(

Since it is only noticeable in 5th gear and above 6200-6300 rpm though, I guess it can be related to the lower-spec map.....because the car pulls strong through the other gears effortlessly....this is only noticeable in 5th gear pulls to redline....

:)