1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Heated Bucket Seats - Temperature Issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DaveyB, Dec 15, 2010.

1. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

I bought my 2007 S3 in June and have only recently been using the heated seats in the cold weather.

I only realised there might be a problem when I noticed the passenger seat was more effective than the drivers seat on a mid range level 3 heat. I'm beginning to wonder whether i'm getting any heat at all through the drivers seat on any of the settings 1-6, it is barely noticeable.

If i were to ask Audi to check it out is this covered under the 1 year used car warranty?

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with heated bucket seats?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. barnzy

barnzy Member

i know when i had my solus plugged into mine it allowed me to check the heated seats individually? The heat that comes from them is quite good and very noticeable... if you have no diagnostic equipment then try letting both seats get hot before getting in and just 'feel' test them with the back of your hand?
    If your local to the Lakeside area i dont mind plugging solus into it? Or wait a couple of days until i find a VAGCOM kit?

4. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

Excellent thats very helpful indeed. I might be ablse to get access to diagnostic equipment this weekend but I will try a manual test before then. I have also heard that they take a long time to heat up - any idea what a reasonable amount of time would be for them to warm up?

cheers

5. barnzy

barnzy Member

rough sort of time is about 10min with the car running, might be worth turning the car on and locking it with the spare key? Have a cuppa then pop back out. But by far the best test will be the diagnostics as you can pinpoint the problem. The heated seats are a must if you have full leather! Extremely cold in the winter.
    I have no heated seats in mine but am looking at converting it to them. I only know about this info due to my friends A3 had a lot go wrong with it and i fixed most of it.

Hope this helps daveyB

6. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

Cheers Barnzy

I have done what you suggested without the diagnostics and there is a clear difference, the passenger side gets nice and warm and there seems to be virtually nothing coming through the drivers seat even when craked up to the highest setting.

I might drop Audi an email and see what they say, also worth mentioning to my local whizz kid mechanic who might be able to sort it rather than missioning it all the way back to the dealer in slough and probably having to leave the car with them!!

Thanks again for the advice.

7. barnzy

barnzy Member

if its covered by warranty then take it back to the dealer as it will be covered again. Have you checked any fuses? may have popped a fuse? Might be worth taking a peek?

8. wesley

wesley Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Have you checked the connectors under the seat??

9. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

I seriously need to get my RS4s wired up! Nige should be over..................1 day :sly:

10. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

The dealer will look at this under warranty as I think this is the next step for now. Checked the fuses and connectors and all seems ok.
    Interestingly I checked the warranty history and there has been work done before to resolve a 'seat frame rattle' on the drivers seat. The service guy at first said he wasn't allowed to say under the data prtection act but I wasn't having that as it's a load of rubbish. The only other warranty issue was a replacement timing belt due to a noisy tensioner (apparently quite routine).

The plot thickens !

11. DaveyB

DaveyB No misfires.

Turns out that the heating elements were knackered and so new parts needed - all carried out under warranty. Happy days....