1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 HeadGasket on its way out?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by d18ony, Mar 25, 2008.

1. d18ony

d18ony Donnie Mac

Hi all. Recently noticed a greeny/yellow deposit on the underside of the oil filler cap on my 1999 S3. Am I right in saying that this is probably my head gasket starting to go? I took a couple of pics but I couldnt upload them unfortunately. The gunk gets worse after long journeys. If it is headgasket is it gonna be an expensive repair? Can a garage do a compression test to check it? And would I have to get the head skimmed or is that just if it blows completely? I was planning getting revo remap so il probably get the guy to do the head gasket at the same time. any help/advice welcome!!! cheers
  2. abdus

abdus Top Gear

is the car overheating? did you check whether there is oil in the coolant expansion bottle?

have you tried wiping off the junk and see if it comes again. It might be just the cold weather and some condensation especially if you don't drive the car too much
  3. d18ony

d18ony Donnie Mac

car doesnt overheat at all, sits bang on 90 when in use. havent checked the water but will do tomorow. i only use car every couple of days, and just for short runs like 5-10 miles really. so maybe condensation? wouldnt mind getting it checked out mind you
  4. abdus

abdus Top Gear

from your description (every coulple of days, short distances), I would say condensation esp that it's not overheating
  5. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

Just what i was thinking.

6. ash_s3

ash_s3 Active Member

Yep, sounds just like a bit of moisture, give it a good long run and it should go away.
    Short journeys dont do cars any good
  7. HTC

HTC Active Member

Especially in cold weather.