S3 has to go :( suggest me sub 1k cars please

Ginge

It's never fast enough !
Reaction score
Hemel Hempstead (home) / Loughborough (UNI)
So, long story short and my pride and joy has to go and I have a budget of £1000 for a new whip.
I'm not expecting miracles here but what would you buy in this situation?

all ideas appreciated :)

What's your criteria? From your profile I'm assuming that you're a student as it references Uni.
Are you looking for something cheap to insure? Cheap to run? Fun to drive? Space to carry loads of folks and kit?

Renault Clio 172, very capable and quite a few about for under a grand.

I had a Clio 172 years ago and they started going wrong at 3-4 years old with low mileage, now there are too many with high mileage and they are getting very old indeed.

Expensive when things go wrong, and they often did.

Good car, but you will only be buying more expense

Sorry guys!! yeah I'm 21 so something that's a bit fun preferably.... I honestly don't care how many seats it has or how much gear you can get in it. as long as it costs around what my s3 cost with mods declared then that will be fine!

Vague I know, thats why I need the help with it :)

I had a Clio 172 years ago and they started going wrong at 3-4 years old with low mileage, now there are too many with high mileage and they are getting very old indeed.

Expensive when things go wrong, and they often did.

Good car, but you will only be buying more expense

I cannot disagree with your comments strongly enough. I know 8 or 9 people who have purchased these for beating senseless on track and none have seen any major issues at all (in fact I will be adding one to my collection in September as a dedicated track car). This 100k+ mile example was driven from Dorset thrashed for the whole day by 2 drivers without let up and was then driven back to Dorset.

les-beds-25th-feb-2012-5.jpg

Parts are cheap and easy to source and in my experience they are pretty easy to work on. If you go to garages for work they can tuck you up but if you're competent with the spanners you are laughing. If it breaks, mend it. If it breaks badly, throw it away

Last edited:
Tatty MX5 just to beat around in? Handles well, can drift, fairly cheap to run and loads of spare parts around being so common. Pretty much same situation for an E30 or E36 BMW. Its not going to be pretty but it`ll forfill the fun part of your needs.

I got my A4 1.8t for 1k with 86k on the clock.

Another vote for a Clio,its a drivers car though.

peugeot gti6

i had one and loved it, not to bad on fuel and fairly quick with its 169bhp, could take corners better than my s3 ever will.

iv always liked clios but no nothing about them.

It's amazing how much c@@p there is out there for less than £1k, but inbetween it all there are some nuggets. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any yet. My wife and I test drove an 80 convertible which was marked at £1k, but the condition was terrible. My search has now gone from £1k to £2k.

It's amazing how much c@@p there is out there for less than £1k, but inbetween it all there are some nuggets. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any yet. My wife and I test drove an 80 convertible which was marked at £1k, but the condition was terrible. My search has now gone from £1k to £2k.

Yep, unfortunately the scrappage scheme wiped out loads of decent motors. Cars for under 1k are difficult, I certainly wouldn't be looking at any German cars in that price range, as they are generally dogs

E36 328 or 325. Think you can get the '25 to the '28s power with an intake from a 28 anyway.

For a grand you'll still be getting leather, climate and 6 cylinders.

got a 1.8 16v clio 1995 for sale 11 months mot no tax 500 quid or swap for a BAM engine if anyone has one ? dont need turbo etc