S3 Handling

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

Well after reading about the other chap not being able to sell his S3 has made me have a rethink for a while.

I want to figure out how much it will cost to sort out the handling on my otherwise standard S3.

Just so everyone knows what I'm after... I have still got something that feels a bit loose at the front of the car, and I'm guessing it's some hidden bush or other so while I'm at it if it doesn't cost a fortune I'm thinking new springs and dampers all round, I don't really care about it being lower I like how the S3 looks as standard. I've also had enough of my car feeling better (flatter) around the bends with 5 bags of sand and cement in the boot. I also don't really mind feeling every bump in the road as long as the car isn't going to jump ten feet when I hit a bump going around a bend.

so what springs and dampers do everyone reckon is best?

and if it does mean lowering the car to get what I'm after what to I need to replace so I can sort the camber after it's lowered, adjustable ARBs? what else?

I'm after fitting the stuff myself if possible then getting it alligned at AmD, maybe getting it chipped at the same time.

sorry for this being sooooo ****** long but one last question which bushes is it worth replacing for the powerflex ones oe other I've got dogbone and am trying to figure out which others are worth a go, even if AmD need to fit them.

Cheers to anyone that bothered to read this and anyone that bothers to post.

Ben. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

thanks JoJo, I read those posts ages ago, just looking for more opinions of owners etc, I take it that's your vote for for H&R + Bilstein Sprint B8.

shame the thread has been moved, don't think anyone much looks at the posts in here and I hoped it'd help other S3 owners with the same dilema.

Well, from reading all the various posts throughout the forum for the last 2 years, settled on Bilstein shock and eibach springs last week, was also suppose to have R32 ARBs fitted, but they ran out of stock, so need to wait 6 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'd go with arb's to start with.

what about a group buy on springs and dampers just an idea as im looking at doing this in the near future if the wallett will allow after wheels and forthcoming remap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with arb's to start with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan, POWER! without control is nothing lol, hows your beast running, and fancy a trek to Castle Coombe on the 22nd Oct fo Audi Driver's International?

[ QUOTE ]
what about a group buy on springs and dampers just an idea as im looking at doing this in the near future if the wallett will allow after wheels and forthcoming remap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be in for some of that if it was bilsteins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey jojo,
Car was really struggling today as i really pushed it down some back lanes,understeering , got me thinking more on some suspension upgrades.Too be honest i thought that the car was quite well suited to the stock suspension when standard.

What I'm thinking of doing is everything at once, don't see the point in paying the labour over an over again, so I'm trying to get an Idea of what I need to get hold of before having it all fitted, from the other posts I've read on here I'm guessing thicker ARBs front and rear, Adjustable tie bars for the rear, springs and shocks along with whatever is actually the loose feeling I'm getting from the steering.

I'll send some mails off later about a bilstein B8 group buy with and without some H&R springs and see what we get.

back to topic, has anyone else had this done and what are your thought pre / post comparison, that's what I'm really after.

Cheers for all the replies so far.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey jojo,
Car was really struggling today as i really pushed it down some back lanes,understeering , got me thinking more on some suspension upgrades.Too be honest i thought that the car was quite well suited to the stock suspension when standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will benefit from going to 18" wheels for added grip Ryan, but I'm sure you want to keep that standard look aswell. Suspension and shocks have improved the handling on my S3, but there's still room for improvement, so waiting for my R32 ARBs to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

back to topic, has anyone else had this done and what are your thought pre / post comparison, that's what I'm really after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fitted last week on Friday, so setup may not be 100% settled yet. First impressions is sharper front end, and slightly more grip during cornering and the ability to put the power down much earlier on exiting bends. Problem with Audi's is lack of steering feel though, the grip is there, but hard to feel how much more, or wether you are on the limit, more of a case of trust the machine, it will go round...

I won't be going to 18" for a while ,talking to mike he reckons arb's will make loads of difference.

Was thinking about the neuspeed ones or the r32 set-up.Although i'm sure glenn said the r32 ones weren't that good?

R32 set up is good for standard shocks and springs, you will need uprated shocks for Neuspeed or Eibach ARBs, as the rebound you will get when going over bumps mid corner would effect the cars balance with stiff ARBs. I'm going for R32 ones, as they are relatively cheap, and my S3 is a daily driver these days.

I think Glenn said that he did not know about the r32 arbs ie never tried them ,the difference between r32 and neuspeed is only 1 mm thicker on the front rear are the same,Jojo what alignment settings did you use,did you set up as Glenn suggested?I think i will bite the bullet and order this week ,later s3 front wishbones,balljoints,track rod ends and forge arms for the rear.The car has done 94,000 miles now and feels a little loose ,so time to change all the ball joints and bushes.Got the h&rsprings and r32 arbs,just need a set of bilsteins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

think at this rate, I'll be going for R32 ARBs, adjustable Tie bars for the rear, new bushes for practically everywhere and H&R springs with Bilstein Sprint dampers. Think I better get saving my pennies...

I've not had chance yet but I will enquire as to some group buys for the bilsteins / H&R and maybe the R32 ARBs.

RE Andy: Just the normal settings, not anything aggressive to be honest, as it's a daily driver. I don't think I'm anywhere near as aggressive as Glenn out on the road lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

im after the front R32 arb to go witht the rear ive already fitted, also the bilsteins / H&R or eibachs so sounds good .... just dont tell the wife lol

i have bilstein p8's with h & r's myself. would be ineterested in a group buy on the anti roll bars..

Why don't we start a GB on r32 arb's,AMD might be interested?

didn`t the uk mk4`s site just do one of these ??? but a good idea try amd and vag parts for the GB anyone interested in organising.

I will find out about group buys for all the things I mentioned above, I've just been absolutly rushed off my feet this week, would people want the ARBs fitted or supplied ( I was thinking fitted at AmD) would anyone be interested in a group buy of the adjustable rear tie rods needed for lowered cars to be set up correctly?

Cheers,

Ben.

I would just want supply of all parts as I would fit them myself. the rear rods are cheapest at jabbersport I think somewhere around £180 exchange or so I was told by a m8.

I'd want supply and fit as i can't be bothered messing around.

I do believe there is a significant lead time on these at the moment... upto abput 16-18 weeks...

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
I do believe there is a significant lead time on these at the moment... upto abput 16-18 weeks...

RIch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and AmD are finding it difficult to get hold of them.

I'm still interested.AMD quote £340+vat fitted for r32 set-up.

ive done the rear no more than a 30 min job. just the front to do now

the fronts the hardest one isnt it? Would the R32 arb's fit my TQ?

If you want the S3 to handle properly... it ain't cheap!

Don't do bits at a time... do everything at once - it'll save you a fortune in the long run.

Shortened dampers (I have Bilsteins), shortened springs (I have Eibachs), full set of ARB - i.e. Neuspeed's (I only have the 4Motion rear ARB which does help slightly), adjustable rear tie bars.

Once all that is fitted, you'll need to have your wheel alignment and geometry adjusted. I think most people found 1 or 1.5 degrees negative camber all round seemed to be a good setup.

so whats the ride like with the bilsteins and eibachs ?? I was also recommended eibachs and koni`s but think bilsteins are a better shocker.

I agree with Imola on this one, tried to get everything done at once, but AmD ran out of R32 ARBs, so gonna have to get them fitted at a later date /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif , but they said they'd do me a deal for the misunderstanding, so hopefully they'll call me back when they have some in stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif , they did offer me cruise control at a cheaper rate instead though, but I have no use for it. I didn't go for the adjustable tie-bars though, as I knew it would only be a 20-25mm drop, so didn't think it's that noticeable, no one said anything about my wheels looking collapsed at Audi International anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
[ QUOTE ]
so whats the ride like with the bilsteins and eibachs ?? I was also recommended eibachs and koni`s but think bilsteins are a better shocker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that my suspension has settled, I must say it's an excellent setup over standard, it's obviously firmer, but it doesn't crash over speedbumps and is more comfortable going over rough surfaces, with the car's tyres doing more of the bump absorbsion. The car feels planted now, with all 4 wheels on the ground under most conditions. This enables you to access the power earlier in and on exits of bends, so I'm well happy, and it obviously generates more grip with the lower center of gravity. Can't think what the R32 ARBs would add to the handling, but reduces body roll is good.

Quick Update regarding group buys for anyone that hasn't seen the other thread, I'm still looking into the springs and dampers, however the R32 ARBs would appear to be off the list as they can't be ordered without a valid R32 Vehicle No.