1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Geometry Set up after springs?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by PaulAr, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Is it necessary?

Has anyone had allignment, tyre wear problems after swapping OEM springs for H&Rs etc..?

Also, has anyone noticed if the ride has deteriorated or become overly firm after swapping to H&Rs/KWs etc..compared to OEMs?

Drove Auldreekies car with H&Rs, it felt spot on bit it was a short run.
    Whats people views on day to day driving after a few 1000 miles?

Cheers Gents
    Paul
  2. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

Taking suspension out for any reason you should get the car alligned - mine is going in on Saturday

I love the ride comfort in my S3 with H&R springs - but I also have 235/35/19 tyres as well
  3. Iggu

Iggu Active Member

I had mine realigned when the springs were fitted - and then again when the ARBs went on. It cost me about £40 each time I think and you should get it done.

The ride is not at all harsh Paul - you know mine is the family car and my clan have no problem with it at all. Have you spoken to MattAndrew ? He might have some H&Rs for sale. If not Awesome GTi in Manchester have a good offer on at the moment I believe (£180 new).
  4. Sohrob

Sohrob Member

As others have said i would 100% get the geometry checked and re-alligned, seems silly spending money to make it handle and look better only to have the geometry out!!!

Ride comfort does suffer and its a bit crashy but is fine for day to day use. I found that the h and r springs did help a little with the understeer but the main bebefit is high speed stability (over a 100 the standard car felt twitchy over bumps)
  5. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

For the sake of £40 then its a no brainer, thats that sorted..:icon_thumright:

Spoke to Matt on email and yep he might have some H&Rs if he decides on coils......however £180 new is a very good price. Might follow that up this week.

TBH a couldnt really feel any difference in ride qualilty when I drove an H&R equipped car AND went shotgun in another, certainly didnt feel any worse than stock.
    Was that your experience Igg? or have you you got used to them?

Cheers
    Paul