S3 General driving

chuckys3

Reaction score
Today i was in the mood for some serious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif driving. I wanted to test how fast my car was. I found that at higher speeds my car seems to glide and little lift up a lot? any ideas why it does this.. do i need to get it lowered and shocks. Its completly standard.. I was in fourth gear and red lining it nearly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I find when i gear change it seems to lift up while accelerating.. does everyone find that while intial gear change

A car will naturally sit down when accellerating and then lift up when easing off the accellerator. Thats why it's always best to keep a bit of power on when going round a corner as the car will sit on the road better (better handling)

slow in fast out

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bingo!
Brake in a straight line, back on the power enough to balance it, turn in, smoothly power on, let the suspension load up, max power, let the quattro work...fast out with maybe a quarter turn of opposite lock! Job done.

Ess,

when you say oppossite lock, do you mean when the back goes out I take it? If so, HOW!? Mine refuses! Unless the weather is real bad.

Info Please!

It can be done, even in a standard car in the dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've a had fair bit of lock moment once and a little lock several times.

Would agree with Glen though, get the car setup, don't barrel into the corner and have understeer. Get on the power progressively and then go for full whack to get you out it. Quite satisfying when you get it right. I only get it right sometimes though. But backing off then you usually get a similar result /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, that's with ESP on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Bingo!
Brake in a straight line, back on the power enough to balance it, turn in, smoothly power on, let the suspension load up, max power, let the quattro work...fast out with maybe a quarter turn of opposite lock! Job done.

[/ QUOTE ]
Glen... stop... you are making me feel sick again!

I still have nightmares of flying past the bus terminus and going 80mph round a 90 deg. bend thinking we were going to end up in that field! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
when you say oppossite lock, do you mean when the back goes out I take it? If so, HOW!? Mine refuses! Unless the weather is real bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the back hangs out proportionally to the front.

To do this well, and safely, you need 3 things (in my opinion)

1. A well sorted front end with lots more grip than standard and perfectly set up toe, camber, castor and tyre pressure settings.

2. A rear end set up to have proportionally less grip than the front be this from suspension angle changes or tyre pressures.

3. Lots of torque!

Once you have the front end keyed to your chosen line, you load it up hard by turning in quickly, yet smoothly and progressively...just as you unleash max boost / torque. The front end needs to stick...the Haldex dumps the torque to the rear juast at it hits full boost (an aggressive re-map helps here too). As this happens the rear power oversteers and slides out under power...then the Haldex will shuffle some torque back to the front, at which point you wind on some opposite lock, hold the throttle wide open, and powwer slide through the bends.

Not easy...but once completed with precision and panache, elevates you to driving demi-God status (in your own mind anyway!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It can be done...but the majority of S3s I've driven aren't well enough set up to allow it easily and safely.
You really do need a well sorted chassis to make it happen sweetly.

I wouldn't really try it in the wet...I've had mine bite back. Not pleasant.