S3 gearbox

Trig0r

Pretend Hairdresser
Reaction score
Website
www.cavalier-turbo.com
Read in a thread on here that the diesel gearbox can be used for better top speed on the s3, is this true?
I'd rather have better top end and lower revs/speed than acceleration...

Yes, faster top speed

Depending on which specific final drive the box has in it

186 - 189mph

The long open ratio's are better for a fast spooling turbo setup too

The final drive ratios are different on the derv boxes hence the higher speeds per gear...

Problem you will have is tracking down a quattro derv box...

Its a popular mod for turbo converted R32's to rebuild the box using derv final drives giving longer gears... as an owner of an S3 with a reasonable amount of power I can see the benefit... first and second are next to useless...

VAG chose the ratios to suit the power band and to maximise fuel economy... fitting a derv box could potentially make all that worse...

<tuffty/>

1st and 2nd being useless isnt an issue, dont use them much, if tracking a box down is a pita then I'll stick that on the back burner and just do otherstuff to the car first.
Plan is hybrid turbo and remap (plus other not so relevant stuff) so powerbands etc can be changed.
Does anyone on here have a gear/rpm/speed calculator?

The gearbox from the TT Roadster (02M DXW) has diesel ratio's, are quite common and cheap(ish) - a few on ebay last time I looked

Has the 6th final drive blanked off though, but can installed (extra expense - perfect time to install an LSD though ;) )

DXW = 1st 42:11 = 3.818, 2nd 40:19 = 2.105, 3rd 39:29 = 1.345, 4th 35:36 = 0.972, 5th 32:33 = 0.970

The 6th gear to this sequence is: 6th 29:26 = 0.806

tbh one the best things to happen to my car was its short-ratio box exploding :laugh:

Take your box,
Fit the final drives from a range of diesel boxes.

Decent ratios still with higher speed in each gear, rather than shocking diesel ones.

What the drag boys do.