S3 fuel economy

Always use Shell V-Power Nitro: 50.9mpg.

anchorman.jpg

I don't believe you

I love it, digital radio opens up so many quality listening opportunities.

Quality or quantity....

Digital radio is shocking in quality mainly been mono and at less than 80bps.
FM is the only option still outside of London.

Not enough bandwidth is given for DAB so broadcasters forgo quality and stereo to cram more channels in :(

Quality or quantity....

Digital radio is shocking in quality mainly been mono and at less than 80bps.
FM is the only option still outside of London.

Not enough bandwidth is given for DAB so broadcasters forgo quality and stereo to cram more channels in :(

Sounds fine for Absolute 80's and 90's though - plus Talksport, 5Live etc a world away from MW/LW!

From Fuel economy to DAB..........Awesome forum this...lol, best DAB stations= the old BBC,the same goes for their TV stations,nothing comes close a live HD BBC TV/RADIO EVENT.

Reactions: Nikon
anchorman.jpg

I don't believe you

Don't expect anyone to believe me.

I did it on a journey to work, efficiency mode, three quarters of a tank of fuel, slip streaming a lorry and not going over 60mph and the fuel computer read 50.9mpg.

Everyone says Audi fuel consumption figures are unachievable so i decided to see if they could be achieved and beaten. I did three attempts over three separate days of 47.5, 48.3 and 50.9mpg and no i don't drive like that all the time.

Last edited:
The trouble is, all the money you save on fuel by slipstreaming, you will have to shell out multiples of the saving in order to get all the stone chips fixed. Plus there's the danger aspect. If you're trying to slipstream at 60mph you have to be ****** close to the vehicle in front.

The trouble is, all the money you save on fuel by slipstreaming, you will have to shell out multiples of the saving in order to get all the stone chips fixed. Plus there's the danger aspect. If you're trying to slipstream at 60mph you have to be ****** close to the vehicle in front.

That's where ACC comes in handy.

Reactions: sjbarneS3
My 1.4 COD in 3000 miles has averaged 37mpg :wtf: - best i've seen on a long trip was 50mpg and I wasn't nursing it, which did impress me...

Gunna go buy an S3! :p - My car might take a good few years to reach 20k miles but it should be well ran in by then, we'll see what it can do...

I brim my tank at every fill and have kept a record of the consumption since purchase, mainly because I previously had a diesel and I was interested to see if I really was losing out much on economy considering the relatively low mileage I do. Please excuse the long 'list' format, it was a copy and paste from a spread sheet. The top figure is the mean since purchase and the remainder is the mean from fill to fill. I live in the home counties and drive on crowded roads but rarely in stop/start city traffic. The figures below represent a mix of motorway and ordinary roads. The car is not used for commuting but is mostly used for short trips with the odd longer one. I do not try to drive economically but equally I am not on full throttle unless there is the road space and traffic conditions for it. In my opinion the economy is amazing, particularly the consistency, irrespective of the type of driving I had been doing. Boring post I know!

33.06 overall average since purchase

Reactions: Audimad and Simon L
I brim my tank at every fill and have kept a record of the consumption since purchase, mainly because I previously had a diesel and I was interested to see if I really was losing out much on economy considering the relatively low mileage I do. Please excuse the long 'list' format, it was a copy and paste from a spread sheet. The top figure is the mean since purchase and the remainder is the mean from fill to fill. I live in the home counties and drive on crowded roads but rarely in stop/start city traffic. The figures below represent a mix of motorway and ordinary roads. The car is not used for commuting but is mostly used for short trips with the odd longer one. I do not try to drive economically but equally I am not on full throttle unless there is the road space and traffic conditions for it. In my opinion the economy is amazing, particularly the consistency, irrespective of the type of driving I had been doing. Boring post I know!

33.06 overall average since purchase

....that's really not too shabby at all mate! I would be more than happy with that and your driving style sounds very similar to mine so I'm pretty hopeful.

Just for the record though I do about 6k a year so couldn't really give a monkey's toss what the fuel economy is like but it's a nice little bonus I wasn't really expecting ;)

My 1.4 COD in 3000 miles has averaged 37mpg :wtf: - best i've seen on a long trip was 50mpg and I wasn't nursing it, which did impress me...

Gunna go buy an S3! :p - My car might take a good few years to reach 20k miles but it should be well ran in by then, we'll see what it can do...
I managed 65mpg out of mine on my journey to work today just as an experiment, short shifting, anticipating the traffic ahead and very light throttle pressure. Ok not my usual driving but I sure I could even better that if I found a lorry to tailgate and risk my life on a motorway.
I fail to understand this thread as why buy a very hot hatch then be obsessed with fuel consumption...

Reactions: veeeight
But it's not a very hot hatch .......... :p

(Hence why you get people driving it like grannies) ;)

Certainly not a involving "drivers car" :p

Reactions: Simon L, Blackwhite and Jassyo06
But it's not a very hot hatch .......... :p

(Hence why you get people driving it like grannies) ;)

Certainly not a involving "drivers car" :p

Or driving like :turtle: . :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Simon L
Maybe the thread needs a new title:

S3 - An uninvolving grannies car? ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Blackwhite
We now that the s3 isn't one of the best handling cars and a standard ford focus will run rings around it, lol, but the performance figures do suggest a very hot hatch...

OK. It's brilliant in a straight line, especially 0-62 with launch control :D

However you ain't gonna see 30mpg if you do that all day, every day :p

Reactions: Blackwhite
Sounds to me like some people have S3's so they can tell their friends they've got one.
It's not the most exciting to drive, nor did it make me want to get in it and go for a drive, but I averaged 26mpg over 11 months and 7000 miles.

Some of you need to either try harder and drive it like it should be driven, or admit defeat, stop caring so much about the "bragging rights" and get a diesel.

Reactions: alijnclarke
This is one of those circular threads.

My take on it is that I got an S3 'cos it can go like **** off a shovel but has a civilised bonus side to it, where on the dull trip up the road in heavy traffic at circa 50mph to the office, means I get 35-40mpg!

To my thinking, this thread is about how surprised people that a modern, high performance engine has the ability to deliver such schizophrenic capabilities.

Floor it when you want or don't, it's your car!

Reactions: Simon L, Nikon, Audimad and 1 other person
The S3's Average mpg is not the best so be it. A standard Ford Focus could not run rings round the S3, a Ford Focus ST yeah it could eventually,once the axle tramp,and torque steer had stopped,by that time the S3 is nowhere to be seen,the RS5 is not the best handling car in its class by a long way,fantastic showroom appeal indeed, but a M4 shows the RS5 how its done.

every car has a Achilles heel...its just that the S3's is little bit weaker with below par fuel consumption....lol

This is one of those circular threads.

You're right, it is (or has the potential to be) one of those circular threads.

But

To me, the S3 is one of the "multi purpose" tools - great at doing most things averagely well, but not superb at any one thing. Kinda like the jack of all trades and master of none ;)

(Or in the case of the S3, just one - straight line acceleration, 0-62, with LC).

Back to the topic though. I haven't ever seen a Trip2 average higher than 28 :D

Is mpg really that important? I once had 76 mpg in my old A3 2010 tdi and posted it on Facebook. Big mistake. Got **** ripped out of me for a while for driving like miss Daisy.. Now I gun it everywhere but still manage 30 mpg in current car ;)

Last edited:
1000 mile range in my old Audi A3 1.6 tdi. What does that equate to in mpg?...

This is what 50mph average speed cameras on the M3 does for your mpg...

Attachments

• mpg.jpg
    mpg.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 279
No way on earth you are getting 49mpg?!