S3 FSI or TSI

tompearson

It's all in bits
Reaction score
Hi I need some assistance regarding the S3 engine.

Has the S3 changed from an FSI to TSI engine, and if so when and which engine codes are which?

Thanks

Mine is a MY10 S3 and it is still a Tfsi engine with CDL engine code, not sure if any of the newer ones are Tsi, but hopefully someone else will be able to tell you for sure. :)

Paulie x

Last edited:
Easy way to tell it's definitely a Tfsi and not a Tsi engine is if your engine has a cambelt housing on the left hand side of it as Tsi's don't have this.

Here's my Tfsi, the black plastic cambelt housing can clearly be seen running vertically from bottom to top of the engine, to the left of the oil filler cap.

Paulie :)

AudiS3pics003.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

Does this mean it has the same size big end journals as other FSI engines then?

Or alternatively, does anyone know the size of the big end journals on a CDL crank?

Thats the info I was working from, but someone had told me otherwise.

If it is belt driven I am pretty sure it is what I am after.

Thanks for your help.

Isn't TSI the 1.4 twin-charger one out of a Golf GT? S3s are definitely NOT that... 2.0 Turbo FSI engine. Maybe they're changing the labeling to Turbo Stratified Injection (dropping the F from TFSI).

Volkswagen use the TSi badging however Audi call all the turbo petrol engines TFSi and new models are badged as such. The S3 engine is a TFSi and is belt driven which is the original design not to be confused with the engine from the Golf GTi or new Audi TT's...