1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Front Suspension/ steering

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Banwell, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Jul 2, 2005]
    Hi,

Can anyone post an exploded parts diagram of the above?

I replaced the discs and pads on my motor yesterday and noticed that a rubber seal about the size of a bagel near the engine bay has become worn and failed. It appears to be part of the steering - but not sure what its called. I can see oil inside. I recently had the trackrod replaced on the drivers side (~£700), but this failure is on the passenger side.

Whats the chances it could be a simple repair? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Lee
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Jul 2, 2005]
    This is a picture (of someone elses!)..

[​IMG]
  4. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Jul 2, 2005]
    Its the rubber bit which you can see in the picture, just above the calliper, receding back into the body of the car. Not a great picture I know. What is this part?
  5. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Jul 2, 2005]
    C.V. Gaitor ?
  6. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 2, 2005]
    picture no.4 is the track rod boot/cover. this not contain and oil/grease and is more of a hardish plastic rather thena soft rubber material.
    If the item you are referring to is a soft rubber with black grease inside it then its the cv boot. which is the not in the diagram. Its the bit that is fitted to wither end of the drive shafts to make a flexible joint.

By the way why did yor replacement track rod end cost nealry £700?? the part only costs £20 approx !!
  7. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jul 3, 2005]
    what Mo-S3 said is right, other than the price of the track rod, there £80 for the whole rod from Audi (Yes I am nit picking) would still like to know how it cost that much, should only have been 4 hours labour including the 4 wheel allignment so shouldn't have really been over £500...
  8. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Jul 3, 2005]
    London weighting.. H R Owen..