S3 front mount intercooler

martin3310

Reaction score
If anybody it interested in a front mounted intercooler for a S3 please let me know as I spoke to Pace and at present they make one only for the TT and if I get enough orders about 6 - 8 they will develop one on my car and the other orders will cover there development costs. In my opinion they are easily on par with forge and may be better, I ran a pace intercooler and charge cooler on past two cars and they are an exelent product, also in a large order of 6 - 8 the price will be about 200-300 pounds less than a forge one at about 800 pounds at present, if anybody is interested please let me know at martin3310@ntlworld.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, Cheers Martin Turner

we are RHD too Kris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

why does the star item retain a standard IC anyhow?
Is the FMIC not big enough capacity on its own?

Thanks for the reply Glen - informative as always.

Re changing the N75 - I dont think I'd risk it for a few extra Bhp. Dont get me wrong every little bit helps, but like you have said without monitoring EGT's and fuelling closely it could end up nasty. I suppose it may be different if I was using a chip / management system (DTA etc) that could be tailored to the increased boost but as I'm running a generic MTM chip I dont think I'll bother.

I've just checked and I can get Jubilee super clamps (stainless) that are a "very" similar design to the makilor ones, through a supplier from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif or they also do a Jubilee High torgue worm drive clip again in stainless so I'll give those a try I think.
Thanks

I have one of these FMICs in the Marketplace.
New, never fitted as it won't fit on the RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers

Ben

I spoke to an Audi technician and he suggested fitting the intercoller from a TT. I believe a bit of modification to the inside of the front bumper was required but the output was worthwhile. Has anyone tried this?

TT has same standard twin IC configuration as the S3

aftermarket TT FMIC will not fit.

also out of curiosity, how is the thing mounted?

i notice from both Glens, and Bens pics there are no flanges or mounting points to bolt it on...

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
also out of curiosity, how is the thing mounted?

i notice from both Glens, and Bens pics there are no flanges or mounting points to bolt it on...

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't actually weigh that much. As the pipework is mainly aluminium, with stiff Samco joinery, there is no need for a physical mounting system apparently. Glen looks like he has some kind of rubber on the back of his to prevent contact on the behind surface.

I used some industrial self adhesive foam to sandwich the FMIC between the radiator and the bumper support, but as Ben says, it's not heavy and once the hoses are done up it'll stay there no problem....I simply wanted to reduce vibrations as much as possible by using the foam.

Glen, excellent post.. Sorry I took so long to reply.. You answered ALL my questions and then some

Any pictures of how the FMIC looks with the front bar installed facing the front of the car?

I just hope Ben's FMIC is for sale long enough for me to get to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We have 40degree heat in Summer here (now) and I know my inlet temps would be very high at the moment, so i think this FMIC would just be a godsend! Consistant power! mmmm

Informative as usual, thankyou!!!

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
Glen, excellent post.. Sorry I took so long to reply.. You answered ALL my questions and then some

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleased to assist...

[ QUOTE ]

Any pictures of how the FMIC looks with the front bar installed facing the front of the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you mean? With the bumper re-enforcement beam in place but not the bumper skin?
Or with the bumper back on?

[ QUOTE ]

Informative as usual, thankyou!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure...

Photo with the bumper on please, I would like to know how stealthy the mod is.

Chears,
Dan

Sorry, yes thats what I meant with the bumper ON.

Stealth is a big factor for me also, I don't want it visible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glen, just a few more questions..

Whats the efficency of this core?
What pressure drop is evident with this and the SMIC installed?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Picture with the bumper on:
29961026-1c5c-023701CC-.jpg

As you can see - or can't!! - it's pretty much impossible to spot without actually getting down low and looking for a FMIC.
Just the way I like it!!

Efficiency...don't know.
Better than standard for sure...the volume is not that much more than standard - perhaps 20% or so in total volume.

Pressure drop...none noticed.
No actualy pressure drop...slightly more lag perhaps...but when it comes on boost...boy, does it pull!

Strange thing is that I actually noticed slightly more boost pressure after fitting an uprated custom Forge SMIC and all the Samco hoses, than I did with just the Forge / Star Performance FMIC...I don't know how the fitting of the FMIC affected the boost pressure as we couldn't get it to run cleanly without the engine starting to shutdown due to too high an inlet charge temperarure with the standard crappy ICs.
Boost pressure peak this time 1.7 bar, last time 1.65 bar.

Woo-hoo...it's an animal!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What do you mean by 'couldnt get it to run cleaning , engine shutting down??

That doesnt sound good!!!

Ok, so more lag, no pressure drop, and pulls good on boost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
What do you mean by 'couldnt get it to run cleaning , engine shutting down??

[/ QUOTE ]

Inlet temperature getting too high, ECU winds back the timing to protect the engine, power drops right off...power run no good!

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, so more lag, no pressure drop, and pulls good on boost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes. Does exactly what it should...no bells and whistles...good performance, decent price...works a treat.

Can you put an FMIC on a A3 if it had an aftermaket front bumper?

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
Glen whats the uprated side ics you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a custom SMIC made by Forge Motorsport based on their Golf Mk4 design but modified to use S3 take offs and with longer connection tubes made so I could use larger clamps....it's also anodised black for the 'stealth' look!

[ QUOTE ]

Also Jims price is very reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, his product is good and the price reasonable...and it does what it should.
Jim used my car to develop the FMIC but since then he's revised it and made it an even more simple installation.
It's a nice piece of kit.

[ QUOTE ]

Can't believe he didn't mention it - especially after he lost my brembo sale. Looks like I'll be paying a visit back to scotland before long..

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got his head full of other things at the minute...especially tuning a certain Mk3 GTI that's been doen there for about a month with the irate owner (me) hasling him to get it finished!...it probably slipped his mind!

[ QUOTE ]
jayfrst said:
Can you put an FMIC on a A3 if it had an aftermaket front bumper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can. I know forge do one for the Golf4 1.8T but not 100% sure if it will fit or not. I suspect it will with a few modifications to the car. I may just get a universal intercooler and then construct the pipework myself.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, notice also the heavy duty clamps...1.85 bar also has a habbit of blowing IC hoses off..as the lads of a pervious Scottish run will testify...stranding me a long way from home! Doh!
It'll not blow these clamps off, I can assure you...

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I learned from a tuning co. during my Jap Car Mitsi Evo days (running 2.1 bar!!!) was that it helps to spray the inside of your intercooler hoses with hairspray before clamping them down!! It makes the seal better and tacky so the hose won't blow off , after doing it this way my evo never blew a hose off ever!!! Cheesey I know but hell it worked!!!

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Rich i asked forge about fitting golf fmic to A3 ,they said that it probably would need modding and they weren't interested in doing a A3 version cause there is no market?I am now going to get one made up myself,though a friend who has done all the development on a Ibiza Cupra fmic and has a good contact for intercoolers and piping.See <font color="blue"> </font> www.am-motorsport.co.uk for details of Ibiza kit .Have seen this finished kit and the quality is excellent and will be trialed on Badger 5's IHI 350 bhp ibiza to check its ok with larger turbos.If Bill likes it then us meer mortals will have no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hi glen,
i have the same fmic as you,was wondering where you got the industrial foam?want to mount mine this weekend.regards Ryan

judging by the amount of grief it took to get the foam mounting stickers off a number plate in the past i would maybe suggest them.

available from Halfords by numberplate counter and available in various thicknesses.

They stick like a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif to a blanket, and are a bitch to remove.

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc said:
hi glen,
i have the same fmic as you,was wondering where you got the industrial foam?want to mount mine this weekend.regards Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just say I re-appropriated mine from work.
I'll say no more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers paul, i'll give that a try,glen any idea how thick the foam needs to be for clearance?