1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 for a Boxster

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Gregg, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Gregg

Gregg New Member

Hello

2nd attempt at this, not sure where my last post disappeared off to. No fun being the new guy!

Anyway. I presently have a 'R' 97 RHD Silver 2.5 Boxster and I'm looking at replacing it with a S3. The one I saw today was a 210 bhp, but chipped to 250bhp. Just looking for some do's and don't's I suppose. What the insurance companys say when you've chipped your car. And if it's wise to go for one that's chipped or perhaps avoid certain ones?

Your the experts so I turn to you for some assistance if you could spare the new guy your time that is. Thanks!

Offers on the Boxster if you like?

Cheers!!!

Gregg :
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. domcj

domcj Member

Welcome to the forum, My first question to you would be to find out when and where the car was chipped and then let us know, as with like anything there are good chips and those not so good chips.

The 210bhp is the earlier car (which i own) imo I love it after years of VW Golf's, but the later facelift cars will be 225bhp and have a few cosmetic changes.

There are a few issuse's as with any turbo charged car but as long as you go for one with good milage and full Audi service history you should not go wrong.

3. Gregg

Gregg New Member

Thanks all I appreciate all your replies.
    Still waiting for 2 garages to call me back. Dundee have a 225 (Y) for £18995. Usual extra's plus Elec. Sunroof and only 13000 miles.
    Aberdeen's one 210 chipped to 250 (51). (I'm waiting for them to email me the full details). It's the same cost, but this one has cruise control and aluminium mirrors as an extra and has done 37300 miles.

Ideal car would have Heated Seats, CC, 225 and BOSE system.
    Oh yeah and 18's! (Don't look for much I know).

I could always fit 18's (£1500?)and CC (£300?) later I suppose.

Low miles should I suppose win the day. Your thoughts as usual mean a lot to me.

Cheers

Gregg
  4. dbm

dbm Active Member

I'm confused - is the 210bhp car a 51 reg and the 225 car a Y reg? If so, that doesn't make sense.

Otherwise, neither car is 'high' mileage by S3 standards (I've done 56k trouble free miles) though having the security of some warranty left is always nice.

My warranty expired last September (3yrs old) so I've been down to Awesome-GTi for a host of performance modifications. This has improved the car about 300% over standard, in terms of driver enjoyment. If you're happy that both cars are equally sound then I would test drive both and I think you'll prefere the chipped version.

Dan
  5. Gregg

Gregg New Member

Cheers Dan. Yeah I made a mistake on the reg. Here's the spec. I've just received.

Audi S3 250bhp
    Reg june 2001 y plate
    37300miles
    The additional spec on the the car over and above standard is as follows,
    Aluminimum wing mirrors
    8 disk cd changer
    Cruise control
    Removable tow bar
    Engine re map to 250bhp

Gregg

6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't bother holding out for Bose
  7. Gregg

Gregg New Member

I take it the Standard does the job ok.

Oh how I do like the 18's!

Cheers pal!
  8. dbm

dbm Active Member

I have Bose and like it, but I'm not aaudi-phile. People who seem to know their stuff say it's not worth the money and you'd be better off buying a third party system.

Dan
  9. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

I'm quite happy with Bose, myself, but then each to their own - I'm not trying to start a debate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tell us about your Boxster mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  10. miker

miker Member

I found my Bose system was improved 200% when I replaced the standard head unit with a performance Pioneer unit.
    The Bose Amp and speakers CAN perform!
  11. Gregg

Gregg New Member

Well, if my precious Boxster might be gone. Going to see a guy tonight. Hopefully he'll go for it! (Looking for £18.5k, mileage 53,500). Then it's down to Dundee for the Red S3 (110). Think I'll have to chip though. I test drove the 110 chipped S3 in Aberdeen last night. WOW!

If it falls through tonight, I'm looking for some takers!
    You would LOVE it, trust me!!!!

Gregg