S3 Flywheel Chatter - Anyone else have this?

Imola-S3

Reaction score
Here's something I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced.

Ever since I had my new engine fitted to my car in Jan 2014 I've had an intermittent chatter on my flywheel.

I'm running a standard Dual Mass Flywheel and Clutch kit (Sachs + LUK) - I only hear the chatter when the car is in neutral and I rev the engine - between 1000 and 3000 revs the chatter can be heard the most. Sometimes it's really loud, other times not so noticeable.

I actually had gotten sick of this noise and had my flywheel / clutch removed (only a few 1000 miles covered on those parts) and bought a new flywheel / clutch kit - but the noise remained.

I didn't notice this noise on my old engine - which was definitely an APY.
This new engine could be anything, the company was a bit dodgy in supplying a different engine code to what they said they would, and although the engine has been brilliant I do question whether a different engine might have this chatter when a S3 spec flywheel / clutch is fitted.

The noise only happens when the clutch isn't pressed in. As soon as you apply the clutch the noise disappears.

We've also replaced the Concentric slave cylinder to rule that out.

Is this chatter normal? Or could it be down to the different engine code?

Cheers for your time

Strange, only thing I can think of is, did you check the end float on your crankshaft? There may be slight movement enough to allow the clutch chatter you describe, when you depress the clutch it takes up the movement, stopping the chatter, I've only heard about this noise on cars with smf conversions and mostly on diesels and cars with knackered dmf's.