1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - First official Pics

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mark88, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Chins

Chins Member

Just got bored and ready for a change. Kept it twice as long as I did the R32.
    EVO mags initial road tests were of preproduction cars. The actual production ones were a lot better. Certainly prefered the VXR as a drivers car above the R32 and way overated MKV GTI. The VXR does love bends, but its a car you do have to learn to get the most out of, unlike the GTI that I was happy handing the keys to my wife.
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

GTi quicker round a track than the more powerful VXR - kind of tells you all you need to know.
  3. Chins

Chins Member

Depends which review you look at. VXR has been faster in other tests on the same day with the same driver, plus your Gran could drive the GTI fast, wheres the fun in that. The VXR is also quite a bit faster mid range. Ran both cars for 7,000 miles and at the end of it I know which car I prefer. If I wanted a limo, then the GTI is a better car.

On topic - I am looking very seriously at the S3 as it ticking my boxes.
  4. AndyMac

You've had an R32, VXR and GTi, someone's paying you too much
  5. Chins

Chins Member

No. Ive got too big a mortgage, but I am a company owner as well.

Might get the S3, but try out a Focus ST until it arrives (in the interests of science).
  6. AndyMac

So you're paying company car tax at £200-£300 per month and you can afford the depreciation on buying brand new cars then getting rid of them within 9 months?
    You're a car salesmans dream
    Your mortgage will stay big haemorrhaging money like that
  7. Chins

Chins Member

I have been working on an allowance, but will now move it back into the company. I am a car salesmans dream though, although I know people a lot worse than me
  8. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Thats only a direct or relative comparison if you run the same turbo unit on both engines! EVO's use their own turbos which have a much larger housings c.f. Borg-warner turbos. Thats probably why they are so laggy in comparison as the larger chambers require more exhaust gas to drive the turbo spindle. The only EVO that runs 1.2 bar is the 260 though, another 2.0L unit - what does that tell you?
    The larger power EVO's all run larger pressures to yield the power and don't even get me started with Subaru's. They Come standard from the factory with a turbo able to flow 350 bhp and an engine that will fly to bits above 300bhp:faint:

Also 8L S3's ran 1.1 boost from factory to give 225 from a 1.8cc. Chipped to 1.6 bar delivered 260bhp so the new 8P S3 looks promising if its got 265 from 1.2 bar. It suggests that it will make >300bhp from 1.6 bar which is perfectly acceptable boost pressure!
  9. S_Line

S_Line Member

nervus, thats what im hoping, a little remap to up the boost, and hey presto a Laggy 300 BHP.

Not for me as ive come away from a Laggy 333 BHP Subaru. :(
  10. JasonM

JasonM Member

Just in defence of chins (though he needs none !) the chaps had many other cars also - he's a car nut ! - and hey lifes (our best years) too short

I think he gives good honest reviews.

Yep lets hope the S3 will be the car we've all longed it to be
  11. S_Line

S_Line Member

yep got to say his car list is rather a " i wish i have owned them" :) great list of cars and i do wish i had owned them also mate :)
  12. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

I think it looks great! Can you imagine looking at that through your rear view mirror...it has move over written all over it!
  13. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Arghh the WR1! Did you ever have it RR'd? Its funny how the big power jap cars including a close friends EVO 8 MR 340 can't keep pace with my 320Stuttgart ponies.

Mitsibushi and Subaru IHI turbos have large turbine housings compared to the Audi used Borg-Warner chargers. They are therefore laggy in comparison and develop their power relatively high in the rev range by which time they are playing catch up in most real driving situations.

The 8L S3, chipped or not, and all current generation VAG petrol turbocharged cars are relatively lag free compared to the Evos and scoobys because the turbos are so small. That is why they yield less power but hey you can't have it all.

I personally think that the new S3 will be virtually lag free like the golf GTI at a cost of say 2-300 rpm and im sure it will be better than a guttless 3.2

Come on ~ 250bhp from 3200cc these days is pathetic, Honda yield almost that from 2000cc
  14. S_Line

S_Line Member

mm i test drove a new GTi and thought that was laggy, thats why i decided for Instant power 3.2 V6.

Laggy meaning no instant power under 2.5K RPM.
    The WR1 didnt get going till 4000 rpm, by that time i had poored my cup of tea, drank it, and put the lid back on the flask :lol:
  15. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

It does look to me like the powerband is going to be higher for the new S3 than the outgoing one as they are talking about a flat peak torque from 2500 - 5000ish instead of 2100 - 5100 so again it remains to be seen what it'll be like.

I think I might have to take a test drive of a 3.2 and an S3 back to back when it's out so I can make my own mind up.
  16. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

Well, I just got my german friend to go through the stuff on audi.de and he can't find any mention of S-tronic or DSG either.

I'm really tempted by this now. Personally I like the understated looks. If S-tronic and the TT's magnetic suspention system are offered, I'd be down the garage like a shot. As it is, I am still umming and ahhing about a re-map on my current set of wheels.

Also, my theory is that the lack of bodykit and fancy options may be because Audi are waiting to put those on the RS3...
  17. merdock

merdock New Member

Hi,
    Typical of Audi at the moment ,''Short cuts'' no metal body mods means that as soon as it comes out there will be 100's of look a likes all over the place something that could not be done to the old one .
    What it needs is someone with bottle and money to cut up a new one and make it look like a real S3.
    All the best Merdock
  18. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

I totally agree.

But on saying that, other than piano trim, recaro seats and a few S3 logos here and there, there wasn't much difference between an A3 (8L) Facelift and an S3 (8L) Facelift.

So things haven't really changed much, its the same all over again. But in 8P A3's, piano trim, alu trim etc. are available. So Audi took away the Piano trim exclusivity with the introduction of the 8P as a whole.

So also agree with the comment that the new S3's interior looks nothing special compared to their A3 - apart from fancy leather seats, logos, etc. But its always been like that.

Now what made me want an S3 (8L), as I had an A3 1.8T 150bhp (8L) pre-facelift, was mainly the chunky styling, flaired wheel arches, recaros, 4wd, sub-7-second 0-60, interior.

Unfortunately, the styling of this new car, is just not as impressive. Never been a fan of the 8P rear, or the 8P big grill anyway. But on the S3 the front does look good, but would be tempted to loose the chrome bits on the grill. The side skirt add-on is pure w##k - it looks like something people stick to Vauxhalls.

...But, the equipment level is pretty good compared to other cars you can buy for 28-30K (e.g. 03 reg Boxster S's). What's tempting me is 265bhp standard, its a few hundred quid away from a 300bhp, usable summer and winter, via quattro.

What's putting me off is, a) the styling, b) another 4-pot turbo engine, and all the niggly performance problems we all have with MAF's, DV's, boost pipes & leaks, etc etc.

My 2p. :)

AL
  19. s3bow

s3bow Member

Will the S3 be chippable to 300 though ? It says it's 1.2bar standard, so will there be the same scope for improvement as the old S3 (0.85bar) ?

Chris.
  20. amoani

amoani Member

Did it occur to people that the S3 might be understated due to the fact that they dont want to spec it too high, as they are going to release the RS3. Take for example the fact that they havent flared the arches on the S3, maybe this is because they plan to have the more aggresive look on the RS3. The spy photos that where recently shown in auto express of the "RS3" clearly showed flared arches. Also, the reason that they gave the S3 265Bhp was that they didnt want to outspec the RS3 by pushing closer to 300Bhp. Just a thought. :)

Aaron
  21. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

This ones been done to death.

RS3 will never happen, It'll impose to much on existing S cars, there's never been an RS3 before, Audi won't be able to price it to sell without infringing on other models, they haven't got a suitable engine for it....that should cover it.
  22. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

And the S3 is understated because they always have been.

Show me a lairy looking (current) Audi?
  23. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Old S3 (225) has 1.1bar standard boost pressure!
  24. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Hi,

I guess we are all assuming the usual approx 40bhp increase from a chip on a turbo'd car, that may bring the new S3 up to around 300bhp. If they have increased the size of the turbo, strengthed the internals and improved cooling, it could be possible. We shouldn't rule it out.

Just look at the current S3, internals strengthed over standard A3 1.8T, larger turbo, twin intercoolers. It wouldn't surprise me if they just done a similar thing with the new one.

We'll just have to wait and see which tuner does a remap first. MTM or ABT in Germany perhaps.

AL
  25. mark88

mark88 Member

Those were not spy photos, that was an A3 race car.

One of the reason the arches may not be flared, is that even on the standard A3, the arches do seem pretty flared anyway, compared to other cars.