1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Exhaust note

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by L60N, Jun 3, 2008.

1. L60N

L60N Guest

Ive been hearing a rather strange noise when on long motorway runs.

Now we all know the familiar turbo spin and engine noise when you plant it, but when cruising at 75-80 then applying the littlest of extra pressure; say when approaching a hill, I can hear a kind of low howling tone.. It sounds quite cool actually. Its coming from the underbelly and sounds a bit like windnoise. Anyone else heard this sound? :ermm:

Its definately coming from the exhaust, not the tyres before you say it ;)

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

I get it all the time, I think it's the exhaust valve being slightly on the cock when it should be straight.

4. L60N

L60N Guest

I also thought it may be the turbo not doing much work, but im definatly leaning towards exhaust noise..

5. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

The solenoid + lever is a bit of a wobbly set up tbh. When I did the "exhaust mod" by disconnecting it and opening it, it just flapped about all over the place.

6. gtijames

gtijames Member

I get a simular noise when accelerating between 65-75 mph. Its a howling noise from what sounds like the near side rear corner of the car. I thought it might be the wheel bearing but thinking about it why would I only hear the noise when accelerating if it was the bearing? My car's in for its first service tomorrow and I was gonna mention it....... not sure what they'll say!

7. L60N

L60N Guest

What is this exhaust mod you mention? Do you have any links?

8. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42546

Ignore the bit where I say it works well, months later I found out the flap wasn't open it was closed (with a little gap) which must be why it made a loudish turboesq sound; When I got it remapped it caused me problems. I advise you to not touch the flappy valve thing at all!

9. L60N

L60N Guest

Advice taken :beerchug:

10. 2834s3

2834s3 2834S3

:greyrs4:Hi guys

I know the sound, for me its when you plant it, like woosh and grunt at the time. I actually love the sound.
    2008 Dolphine grey.

Thanks for your comments

Take care

11. squale

squale New Member

About the exhaust valve, I checked on my S3, the flap is open at idle, is that normal ? I guessed it should open only at high revs ?
    How could I fix that ?

thx

12. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

Yes thats normal, its to make it sound a bit throatier/sporty on tickover..