1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Exhaust note

L60N Jun 3, 2008

1. L60N

L60N Guest

Ive been hearing a rather strange noise when on long motorway runs.

Now we all know the familiar turbo spin and engine noise when you plant it, but when cruising at 75-80 then applying the littlest of extra pressure; say when approaching a hill, I can hear a kind of low howling tone.. It sounds quite cool actually. Its coming from the underbelly and sounds a bit like windnoise. Anyone else heard this sound? :ermm:

Its definately coming from the exhaust, not the tyres before you say it ;)

2. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

I get it all the time, I think it's the exhaust valve being slightly on the cock when it should be straight.

3. L60N

L60N Guest

I also thought it may be the turbo not doing much work, but im definatly leaning towards exhaust noise..

4. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

The solenoid + lever is a bit of a wobbly set up tbh. When I did the "exhaust mod" by disconnecting it and opening it, it just flapped about all over the place.

5. gtijames

gtijames Member

I get a simular noise when accelerating between 65-75 mph. Its a howling noise from what sounds like the near side rear corner of the car. I thought it might be the wheel bearing but thinking about it why would I only hear the noise when accelerating if it was the bearing? My car's in for its first service tomorrow and I was gonna mention it....... not sure what they'll say!

6. L60N

L60N Guest

What is this exhaust mod you mention? Do you have any links?

7. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42546

Ignore the bit where I say it works well, months later I found out the flap wasn't open it was closed (with a little gap) which must be why it made a loudish turboesq sound; When I got it remapped it caused me problems. I advise you to not touch the flappy valve thing at all!

8. L60N

L60N Guest

Advice taken :beerchug:

9. 2834s3

2834s3 2834S3

:greyrs4:Hi guys

I know the sound, for me its when you plant it, like woosh and grunt at the time. I actually love the sound.
    2008 Dolphine grey.

Thanks for your comments

Take care

10. squale

squale New Member

About the exhaust valve, I checked on my S3, the flap is open at idle, is that normal ? I guessed it should open only at high revs ?
    How could I fix that ?

thx

11. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

Yes thats normal, its to make it sound a bit throatier/sporty on tickover..