S3 engine mounts...........

S3 03

Reaction score
evening all,

right i changed the usual lower dog bone mount with a powerflex item(yellow one) which seems to do its job of stopping the engine move about under acceleration.

but my problem is when i let off the power, i feel the engine move so makes the gear change feel abit snatchy.

now is this because the yellow mount is gash or is there another mount i need to look at.

cheers

I used the semi rigid VWRacing mounts which transmit a lot more thrash than the stock mounts.

I think the end result of tightening everything up is a much less forgiving chassis and car.

this is the problem, i dont want my daily drive to end up being like a track type set up as its just not nice, but i also want it to stop the engine wallowing about, the car is std at the mo and all ready feel like the engines held in with elastic bands lol

this is the problem, i dont want my daily drive to end up being like a track type set up as its just not nice, but i also want it to stop the engine wallowing about, the car is std at the mo and all ready feel like the engines held in with elastic bands lol

It's a compromise whatever way you look at it.

Soft is comfy and easy to drive but hardening everything up improves handling and stiffening up the mounts stops the engine wobbling around.

Mine is at the far end of road-friendly and makes for a fairly gnarly drive but you can strike a happy medium by doing things one bit at a time and stopping before it gets too far.

I recently put in an 85a HPA puck (complete replacement lower subframe mount) and replaced the bush in the middle of pendulum mount with a powerflex bush. Already had 034 side engine and trans mounts. Zero movement/rock now which is great but the car is full of nasty vibration now. Especially bad as I have a DSG.

It has settled down a little since installing them and I'm told it will settle a lot more after 1000kms or so, however it is too much for me and will be switching the pendulum mount back to a new OEM part and keeping the HPA puck to see if I'm happy with that.