S3 electrics failure

CRS3

Reaction score
Hello,
As the title states I seem to have had a major failure with my vehicles electrics. The wife and myself were out in the car the other night and she was driving. It was evening time, so it was dark and the vehicles lights were in use. When we got home she went to reverse into the drive way but stalled the car. When she started the car again I noticed that the lights did not come back on. I got the misses to turn the light switch on and off but only the side lights would come on, no dipped or main beam. So once the car was parked I began to investigate further.
Firstly I checked to see if there were any other electrics that were not working and found that there were a few more things not operational. The heater/blower, wipers front and rear, rear demister, indicators and as previously mentioned main beam and dipped beam. I checked the hazard button and the flashers worked, but not with the indicator stalks. I checked the stalk for the main beam and I can flash the main beam but it will not stay on normally. I then checked all the fuses and they were all ok.
So I decided to search the internet for some suggestions and came up with possible relay failure or control module failure. I was leaning more towards relay failure so went about trying to check the relays. The trouble is when I dropped the bottom of the dash and found the relays, which are numbered 53,100,167,206,382,387 and 389. I wasn't sure which relays link which components as I have can't find any diagrams that specifically tell what relay goes where on an S3.
Has anyone had this electrics issue ? Does anyone know what could make all these components stop working at the same time ? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Due to work and general life commitments It's taken me a while to update this thread. But I thought it best incase some unfortunate person should come across the same problem as me.
I couldn't find a proper schematics diagram for my S3 relay layout. So I looked each number of relay up on the net and found that relay 100 connected all the vehicles electrics that I was having trouble with. So I went about testing it only to find that it worker correctly. I then started the car and operated the relay manually and found that the electrics would work. All but my xeons. This got me thinking so decided to have a tea break and another scout on the net to see if there was any thing I could find that connected the two. And what I found was a possible Ignition switch failure. But reading about those that had encountered the failure stated that if you turn the key back slightly you could get everything to work again. Well I tried and tried but could not get anything to come back on. I then decided to test the ignition wire that runs from the ignition to the relay board and found that there was no power. So I was pretty sure at this point that it was indeed the switch. So I called up Inverness Audi and ordered a new one for 35.85 +vat.
It arrived a week later and I used an online guide to fit it. I then started the car and hey presto everything works once more.
But just when I thought everything was ok I pulled out my drive the other day and heard a loud bang. Stopped the car and got out to investigate only to find that my front drivers spring had snapped:(. So i've just ordered the Bilstein B12 kit from Damien at DPM today and will be fitting it next week. Was wanting to update the suspension for a while but was putting it off, but now needs must:).

Reactions: tomjol, westcoast a3 and jojo
well done for updating, so many threads with no resolution to the problem out there. just typical with the spring, good luck sorting it.

Reactions: tomjol