1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 electric seat problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by spartan rules, Jul 28, 2009.

1. spartan rules

spartan rules 1st time owner of Audi S3 :)

Hi

I have an Audi S3 2001 and have a problem with the electric seats. They work in all positions except for both seats dont go up.

I have checked all the fuses. Can anyway give me any suggestions on this as to what might be stopping both seats going up.

Thanks for any help

RB :blackrs4:
  2. eagle_s3

eagle_s3 Member

If your lucky, then it could be the same issue as I had.

The up and down movement is stopped by two mircoswitches underneath the seat, if either of these get stuck in then the seat will only move in one direction e.g.

If the mircoswitch which stop the seat in the up position gets stuck in when you raise the seat to its max, then when you lower it again the switch stay in and won't allow you to adjust the seat up, and visa versa.

You'll have to remove the seat or at least unbolt the front and get a look underneath.

There are two bolts at the front of the seat underneath a black plastic trim (if you can get the trim off without breaking the clips you're a better man than me). Undo the bolts, move the seat back in it's runners and then tilt it towards the rear seats.

The mircoswitches can be found on the seat frame, I think i've got a PDF of a manual that'll give you pictures , etc. There not to hard to find thought.

In some other cases these switches can also drop out of position, I had to glue on of mine back on.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if you do end up removing the seat from the car, don't turn on the ignition and some people also say to disconnect the battery.
  3. alijames

alijames Active Member

4. eagle_s3

eagle_s3 Member

Thanks,

I thought i had that saved on my computer but couldn't find it when I went looking.
  5. Dennis Moeller

Dennis Moeller Member

Don't remember that you had to strip down anything? Just take the seat out like eagle_s3 said and you'll get to the switch. Been there and it's really the worlds smallest switch :ohmy: Hard to see really. Mine had the rubber sealing stuck so that the switch itself couldn't move freely up and down...

Easy fix though...
  6. alijames

alijames Active Member

It's been a year since I removed my seats... :meeting:
    IIRC, I had to remove the outer panel with the adjustment switches on to get at one limit switch though...

Cheers,

Alistair
  7. spartan rules

spartan rules 1st time owner of Audi S3 :)

Thanks guys for your feedback. I suppose ill have to take the seats out then. Shame it wasnt something easy to do. Always the way. :)
  8. spencer-s3

spencer-s3 2nd gear

boys do you still have the pdf file on how to remove the seats and strip down to get at the microswitches ? ive got the same probs
  9. Carpy25

Carpy25 Member

10. Duktor

Duktor Member

Spencer could u take loadsa pics when you do it m8 and post results ,and also look and see if there is any non connected electrics coming out of the seats as im sure all us with cold bums in this weather want to know if the heater elements are in there but not connected ?

noticed the above link dosent work try this for the pdfs on the interior

Homepage - Ewan MacNee click on the downloads section has links to 3 seperate files
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  11. alijames

alijames Active Member

12. spencer-s3

spencer-s3 2nd gear

great thanks boys :yum: ill have scan threw these files see what i can find, Duktor im sure the heated seats are the wires with the green pug or so ive read, but mine does'nt have heated seats.
  13. Pankus101

Pankus101 New Member

Hi folks - I'm having the same issues. Tried taking the seat out just now, but was wondering if I can just simply disconnect the red and yellow connectors und the seat or I really do need some special connector as indicated in the manual?

any more pics would be super helpful as the manual is very basic for a noob like me. Thank you!
  14. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Just disconnect the battery before you take the seat out.