1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 dump valve question

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Rice, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Rice

Rice Member

Hi, so bear with me here as im a turbo newbie. My S3 currently chatters, which i think is the result of the dump valve being in backwards? Or possibly the N75 being deleted? Im not sure... But its got the standard dump valve in place, n249 bypass. So i want to get rid of the chatter as its not good for the turbo i hear. So should i be looking to replace the standard dump valve with a Forge item? If so what are the advantages?
    Engine spec; APY, stage 1 remap, FMIC, forge TIP.

Thanks in advance
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

If it makes a chattering noise then its likely the DV is faulty and needs replacing

<tuffty/>
  3. Rice

Rice Member

Oh right is it? Someone looked at it and thought the Dv was backwards. So could try turning it round and seeing what happened? Is it worth getting a forge dump valve or divert valve?
  4. <tuffty/>

Pics would help and maybe a video of the sound....

OE valve is perfectly capable of doing the job... up until recently all aftermarket valves leaked to a degree (OE doesn't) but Forge have recently upgraded all theirs and now leaks are pretty much non existent... you don't need to 'upgrade' as the OE valve holds 30psi and is a good enough valve but the Forge ones last longer (still need a service once a year with new o-rings and silicon heat resistant grease, they do a cheap kit) and of course they are engine bay bling...

If funds are tight then replace with OE, if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket and fancy the bling then get a Forge 007 or 008... DON'T buy a Split-R or any other type of atmos valve as VAG ecu's do not run well with them :)

A couple of useful threads
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...snt-sure-if-leaking-advice-needed-please.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ormation-new-buyers-owners-servicing-etc.html

<tuffty/>
  5. Rice

Rice Member

Thanks very much mate :)! Think ill stay oe.

Forgot to say, had the exhaust manifold replaced yesterday as mine was cracked and my mate said the n75 was deleted. What exactly is that doing? Or not doing as the case may be.
  6. <tuffty/>

N75 deleted? I hope not lol... thats the boost control valve.... he either has no clue what he means or you are in trouble :)

Picture of the TIP area will help settle this but I suspect he means the N249 delete... this is the valve that the ECU uses to dump boost via the DV if there is a problem

<tuffty/>
  7. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

80mm TIP is what you want if shopping for one of these :)
    link in my siggy