1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Drive shaft drone?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 L33, Aug 1, 2012.

1. S3 L33

S3 L33 New Member

My S3 has been making this weird drone noise at around 15-20mph for a little while now. It sounds like a wheel bearing but I've had them checked and they are fine apparently. I notice it more as I'm slowing down to stop, It does it without the breaks applied so I've ruled them out. But recently It's doing it at normal road speeds, mainly at 60-65mph I notice it alot. As the wheel bearings are apparently ok the only thing I can think of is a drive shaft maybe, as I know the gaiter is split on the n/s and could well be quite dry by now? Could a drive shaft make this drone noise? Starting to annoy me now and I really want to get it sorted. The noise is defo from the front end I think, so I've ruled a noisy rear diff out as well.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. jamie408

jamie408 New Member

Could be a bearing in the gearbox. When doin 60-65 push the clutch in see if it disappears. Also when when feathering the throttle does it change sound. Is yes then is say its a bearing in the box.
    Colly likes this.
  3. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

Checked your tyres? I had a moaning from mine which I was convinced was a rear wheel bearing. Had it changed and it didn't improve, it turned out to be a dodgy rear tyre, we found it by swapping the wheels around on the car and following the noise....
  4. S3 L33

S3 L33 New Member

Cheers boys, it makes no difference in/out of gear. And I fell down a pothole a little while ago and bent a wheel which I've had repaired, and had a new tyre put on the same time. But swapped the front and the rears but still no change. It could well be a tyre thinking about it, I did originally think that but its only recently started doing it at higher speeds. Just want to rule this drive shaft out really, I've never known one to whine/wurr?
  5. S3 L33

S3 L33 New Member

Just been out in it again, and get a slight vibration thru the car/pedals as well as the drone. Did your tyre do the same Dave?
  6. Colly

Colly The Tangerine Machine

surely even if the clutch was in the gearbox bearing sould drone as its still turning?
  7. jamie408

jamie408 New Member

pushing the clutch takes pressure off the box from the engine. foot down it whines/ foot off it whines. if u get me my zaf is doin the same atm.