1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 drive select mode differences?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Itguy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    Hi everyone

Has anyone noticed any real differences in fuel efficiency between the economy drive select setting and normal/individual/dynamic?

Obviously I can see that it free wheels and limits boost but just wondered if it actually makes a noticeable difference.

also, anyone really know what the difference is (in individual mode) between auto and dynamic for both the engine/gearbox and the steering?

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. RobH_S3

RobH_S3 Active Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    I guess the gearbox just changes more quickly/aggressively and the steering is lighter in auto. I find dynamic steering too heavy and auto spot on.

Comfort steering is way too light though.
  4. CraigI

CraigI Well-Known Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    Don't bother with any setting other than Dynamic, which improves throttle responsiveness, holds onto gears longer, and adds a little weight and feel to the steering.
    It's a S3 I bought,so I'm not bothering with attempts at economical driving.
    Had I wanted that, would have bought a diesel of some kind.
    Guess I can't really help with an answer............

2,500 miles in and 25.1mpg average.
    Getting better.........
  5. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 6, 2014]
    Different car, but same system on S5 gave extra 2.5mpg on a 60 mile journey in economy over dynamic when driving in pretty much exactly the same way. Not a big difference, but over 3-4 years it would all add up. As the A3 is more economical I'd expect slightly better figure than that.
  6. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    Is it just loosening up do you think? What was it when you started?
  7. keyser

keyser Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    3,500 miles in and long term average is sitting at 30.9 mpg. I've never had the car in any setting other than individual:

- Steering: dynamic (found it a bit heavy at first, but once you get used to it going back to comfort is disconcerting)
    - Engine: dynamic (wouldn't have it any other way in an S3 and at 30.9 mpg see no reason to change)
    - Sound: comfort (have tried it on dynamic but not a fan of 'artificial' engine sound)

Mine's a manual and I have a feeling that the changing the engine mode in an S-tronic probably has more effect on the way the car behaves...

Economy has definitely improved with miles and I haven't exactly been nursing it. Tonight's drive in Edinburgh rush hour traffic returned 25.7 mpg. Not exactly opportunity to give it beans, but impressive considering constant start-stop.