S3 - Drive mode start in Dynamic / S

slayaz

Reaction score
The title may not be clear but this is what i have noticed.

If the car is is auto or comfort or economy and I cycle through the drive select to dynamic (or individual if you have engine noise set up as loud), the the engine note changes, the idle increases and it hold the revs for longer. It also makes a great noise on up shift and an engine blip on downshift. The display says S. Just as expected.

Now when I stop and leave the car for a bit, when i start it, drive select STILL says dynamic, but this time it says "D" not "S" and i dont have the awesome engine/exhaust noise. The only way I can find to turn everything back to "S" is too cycle through the drive select (6 clicks).

Is there another way? Is there a way to permanently enable it?
Sorry if this has been asked previously, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

Whilst in 'D', pull the 'gearstick' down towards you once, repeat to change back to 'D'.

Reactions: Scottyg, pburv and slayaz
As simple as that!

Thanks, i thought there had to be a better way.

Reactions: Rob2k68
To fully engage the dynamic mode after a rest period you do need to cycle back through... Annoying as I also have to reset start/stop and put TCS back into Sport too!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
Life's hard ...lol:blink:

Reactions: A3_Rider, Jassyo06, slayaz and 2 others
Life's hard ...lol:blink:

Indeed me ol mucker, little things.........................however, on this occasion I must agree with my learned colleagues it is friggin annoying! A dedicated select button for the mode of choice would be most welcome.

Reactions: slayaz, pburv and Rob2k68
Have my steering wheel * button assigned to drive select but would love to be able to set it so that it only toggled between Dynamic and Individual.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, batch, pburv and 1 other person
Indeed me ol mucker, little things.........................however, on this occasion I must agree with my learned colleagues it is friggin annoying! A dedicated select button for the mode of choice would be most welcome.
I have it on mine....... * ....... Aux button on steering wheel......Simples:friends:

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
As batch says as soon as you do a full cycle through the drive modes if you had previously pressed the button on the dash to disable stop/start this momentary engagement of Efficiency mode will switch stop/start back on and can be a right PITA. I have stop/start disabled using VCDS so it no longer happens to me but it caught me out a few times whilst looking for a quickish getaway at busy junctions.

Reactions: pburv
I have it on mine....... * ....... Aux button on steering wheel......Simples:friends:

......that saves leaning forward about 6 inches mate but not really the solution! Need a button that goes straight to the mode you set it to not this cycling through the whole ****** lot razzmatazz lol

Reactions: Martinbanshee, slayaz, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
......that saves leaning forward about 6 inches mate but not really the solution! Need a button that goes straight to the mode you set it to not this cycling through the whole ****** lot razzmatazz lol
Lol .There's just no pleasing some people...:whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Have my steering wheel * button assigned to drive select but would love to be able to set it so that it only toggled between Dynamic and Individual.
That's a pretty good idea!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
No economy mode on the RS3 so only 5 presses ;)

TX.

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Reactions: Simon L, Rumpelkillskins, Jassyo06 and 3 others
Does anyone have there car in S mode constantly?
I usually pull down into S mode when I want to drive a little faster or pull away from the lights quick and hear the pops then change back to D.
Constant S day to day would annoy me I think with the long gear changes.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Baldyone, Jassyo06 and 4 others
I usually pull down into S mode when I want to drive a little faster or pull away from the lights quick and hear the pops then change back to D.
Like you I put it in dynamic when the mood suits me.Not sure if I would have it on all the time..

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 2 others

Nope, for exactly the same reasons as you. Besides, I think you enjoy it more when its not on constantly :racer:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, pburv and 1 other person
I get accused of showing off when it goes into S by the other half because that's when the engine noise and pops are coming. Would say you do enjoy it more that way to

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
Nope, for exactly the same reasons as you. Besides, I think you enjoy it more when its not on constantly :racer:
Too much of a good thing..lol:rock:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I get accused of showing off when it goes into S by the other half because that's when the engine noise and pops are coming. Would say you do enjoy it more that way to

Yep mine's the same mate, goes in one ear n out the other..................:blahblah1: lol

Reactions: Chris5, pburv and Rob2k68
Yep mine's the same mate, goes in one ear n out the other..................:blahblah1: lol
I always assumed the moaning was their way of saying go faster...:superman:

Reactions: Max-Robbo, Rob2k68, Chris5 and 1 other person
Right fire it into S mode driving in a straight line awesome like the sound you can hear it really well with pano-roof open,hit a few tight bends and l am sliding all over the seat....reason why l don't use it now....

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and pburv
Right fire it into S mode driving in a straight line awesome like the sound you can hear it really well with pano-roof open,hit a few tight bends and l am sliding all over the seat....reason why l don't use it now....
Says the man who is about to push the button on an RS3...lol
I'm not jealous ........No really I'm not......:sob:

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Says the man who is about to push the button on an RS3...lol
I'm not jealous ........No really I'm not......:sob:
Just to add l don't really get the chance using S mode not at the time's l use the car and on the daily routes l use to get to work,it's only beneficial on take off really

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and pburv
Just to add l don't really get the chance using S mode not at the time's l use the car and on the daily routes l use to get to work,it's only beneficial on take off really
I suppose your right going up and down your drive doesn't give you much chance to use it...:wink new:

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
That's it slag me off while I'm not here to defend meself!! lol As a matter of fact just went out on a nice drive, gave it plenty of welly!!

Going back to your comment about slip sliddin away J don't wanna start world war 3 but that just proves to me the difference between sportsback and saloon on standard set up. There's no ****** way I get any of that ***** when I'm blatting it! :racer:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Yes, I do the same.:racer:

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
My R was in S mode 90% of the time. My S3 is in S mode 90% of the time. Rest of the time, manual mode.

I find backing off the accelerator makes it change from 2nd to 3rd and all other changes are about right for my needs.

Interestingly, neither my R nor my S3 used/use oil.

I rarely go above the speed limit either (although, losing my license in the R had a lot to do with that ....)

Reactions: Cymru09, Max-Robbo, Simon L and 3 others
I ususally go to menu and change the car settings to dynamic then pull down on gear stick to "D", I still get good notes and pops when changing when I do that.

I got sick of pressing the button 6 times.

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Rob2k68
I ususally go to menu and change the car settings to dynamic then pull down on gear stick to "D", I still get good notes and pops when changing when I do that.

I got sick of pressing the button 6 times.
Never thought of doing it that way round.I will give it a try tomorrow....:friends:

Reactions: j0nny2013, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Thanks for that tip...it's so obvious when you look at the icons on the gear stick shroud. I am now happily swapping instantly between D and S at will!

I always quickly flip the stick if I want a quick burn to overtake or something. Then quick flick again to return to sensible driving!!

Reactions: Chris5
One thing to consider, which I had only discovered last week after some testing, is that if you're using 'manual mode' you have to make sure you're in the correct 'auto' setting first.

I'll explain,

Previously I had thought the S-tronic had 3 separate modes, D, S and M.

However, there is actually 4 different modes. Think of them as, D, S, DM and SM.

When in 'D' you will have the 'comfort' mode throttle response, retarded engine timing and slower gear changes.

If at this point, (driving in 'D') you use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M', you will STILL have the 'comfort' settings enabled.

If however, you FIRST select 'S' mode either by the 'Drive Select' button or pulling the selector down, and THEN use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M' ('SM'), then you will benefit from a very fast throttle response, advanced engine timing and quick gear changes! (Even though the dashboard still says the same (just an 'M')).

(P.s. When in 'SM', if you lift off around 5k RPM whilst on full throttle, you will feel a huge 'throttle response' difference, I nearly gave myself 'whiplash'!)

Try it, and you will be shocked/pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: encee, pburv and Chris5
Tried it and got pops every gear change. Only got to 4th gear but don't usually get the pops to 4th just 1st to 2nd.
Good tip mate, will maybe use paddles more now

Reactions: pburv and Audi Toby
I was pleased to have found it as the instant throttle response and timing is brilliant! The pops are an extra bonus!

Keep playing about with it and comparing the 2 modes, you'll notice the difference!

Reactions: pburv