1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 door trims: rust magnet?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DiscoPanda, Jun 28, 2007.

1. DiscoPanda

DiscoPanda Member

[Jun 28, 2007]
    I was reading on the other S3 forum ('96-'03) about how the plastic trim thats on the bottom of the door has caused rusting due to it trapping moisture/dirt. Is this likely to also happen to the new S3? Or has it been better designed?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13861
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Jun 28, 2007]
    The doors no longer have the plastic trims attached to them. But they might still catch leaves and **** behind the wheel arch liners ;)

Regards, John.
  4. DiscoPanda

DiscoPanda Member

[Jun 28, 2007]
    Really? lol I was examining 55/56 plate A3's in the car park at work which had them. So the S3's doors are metal all the way?
  5. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Jun 28, 2007]
    an S3 is no differnet to any other A3 body-wise and my march 07 A3 has plastic trims at the bottom - so yes they do have plastic trims at the bottom - i for one think this is an extremely good idea since if you ever catch the door on a high kerb or the like it will not rust - plus easier to get repaired dont have to repaint the door. Can't see how these would cause rust, especially since the body of the car is galvanised also.

I would worry in the slightest.
  6. DiscoPanda

DiscoPanda Member

[Jun 28, 2007]
    The 8L was the same setup though - galvanised. 2002 cars are rusting as its a water trap. Sure it saves scraping the paint in the short term but its a bit of a design flaw I feel. Unless they've done somehting differently? :S

The strip removed from an 8L model S3.

[​IMG]