S3 dipped beam gone - which bulb? Xenon?

Kiwi79

Reaction score
Hi,

Seems the dipped beam has gone on my car on one side. Trying to buy a replacement but massively confused as to which is the right type.

On the S3 are these always Xenon? I see options on Eurocarparts from about £16 all the way up to £130 for some Philips top of the line bulb. I'm also thinking it might look a bit odd with 1 mega powerful bulb and 1 regular so something that is pretty standard is what I'm looking for.

Any help appreciated

You could try the sites lights man @t8ups and see if he can give you any pointers plus he might be able to supply

S3 are always xenon.
Check first if it's the bulb or ballast.
Best to get bulbs in pair because they lose intensity with time.

Reactions: oldoiler
S3 are always xenon.
Check first if it's the bulb or ballast.
Best to get bulbs in pair because they lose intensity with time.

What is the ballast part? All I know at the moment is the light flickered a bit and then pop out it went.

8KO941597E
Ah I didn't mean the part number I just meant what function it actually performed. I've never heard of a bulb having ballast. Is this a separate part which attaches to the bulb?

Thanks

Separate part mate. It's under the headlight.
First swap the bulbs over. Then you'll know if it's a bulb or a ballast.
I'm saying this because i had same issue flickering light going on and off. Got the new bulbs and then i changed them but still not working and had to get new ballast. In the end bulb was fine.

Ah I didn't mean the part number I just meant what function it actually performed. I've never heard of a bulb having ballast. Is this a separate part which attaches to the bulb?

Thanks

Ballast is fitted on the bottom of the headlight on the A3/S3
It’s like a power unit for the bulb. The cable that attaches to the bulb, the other end plugs into the ballast.

Reactions: S. and ch1z64
Thanks for the advice guys, don't suppose anyone has a diagram of what to remove. Assuming I just stick the hand in and have a rummage/or it's really obvious and it just unclips...

Thanks for the advice guys, don't suppose anyone has a diagram of what to remove. Assuming I just stick the hand in and have a rummage/or it's really obvious and it just unclips...

Its quite difficult to do from the engine bay, easier by removing front half of wheel arch liner

Don’t forget these bulbs are high voltage and need to be left switched off for around 3mins before delving into the circuitry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I do this myself is the easiest route then: jack car up, wheel off, remove wheel arch liner and then it should be straight forward? Just had a look and it's waaay tight without removing anything to the point where I think it would be almost impossible to do!

Might see what the friendly Audi independent will charge me and do both at same time. Problem is I'm not sure if it's the ballast part and I can't work that out without taking bits apart

Having replaced the (admittedly different) bulbs in my own Xenon-equipped car I’d be inclined to say not to waste your time trying to access things through the wheel arch liner.
If you do need to change the ballast it’s definitely a headlight-out job as the ballast is screwed to the base of the headlight and that’s the only way to access it.
My car has older single-xenons with the D2S bulb and even with the headlights off the car and sat in my lap they were an utter swine to fit, I hope the D1S are easier!
Either way, it’s a simple enough job to take the bumper off and that’s the route I’d go if doing the job at home, bumper off and then headlights out.....

My brother managed to fit a passenger side ballast and screw it in from the engine bay, however it wasn’t easy...having said that the only way to get to the bulb was through the wheel arch.

My money is on the bulb being blown rather than the ballast.

OK some good advice. Is bumper off easy, I have memories of doing it on my old Impreza and things were a bit fragile

Should take you 2hrs. the first time you do it, thereafter 30mins as you'll know where all the screws are. It'll be easier to swap bulbs and ballasts around to prove which part has broke. Have a look at Tim Wills guide on you You tube .
Pain in the neck? yes it is because it's an Audi :smile new:

Reactions: S.
C'mon @Kiwi79 its a good learning curve taken the bumper off , that way you will learn 1 to put new bulb or ballast in / on , 2 be able to take your front grille out to change if need be and 3rd lay how to change the lights out .
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:.
Go on give it a try

Reactions: SootySport