S3 dash MPG indicator

SanityClause

Reaction score
It's been a long week since I got my S3, drove it over last weekend and noticed the fuel gauge wasn't dropping, even after 150 miles.
I called the stealers on Saturday, got the courtesy car on the Monday.
Next day they told me it was the fuel sender unit, which I'd already worked out having replaced a few of them in various cars.
Car was delivered on the Wednesday, I got to drive it for 2 minutes before it died a sudden death, almost at the entrance to the Clyde tunnel.
The monkeys who work for the stealers hadn't connected the pipe which connects BOTH senders in the S3 tank, once the fuel level dropped it was sucking air, not petrol.
S3 was returned today, but I notice the digital MPG display can read whatever it wants, unless you are cruising on a straight road at a steady speed.
Is this normal? If I accelerate or turn a corner the MPG can drop, read really high or even display the - - - .
The fuel gauge is working fine, and the overall MPG and distance you can travel readings seem to be fine also.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Looks like it's been 'Lomonded' in the first instance!!!

As to the second, check the DIS isn't set on what the mpg is at that moment in time as oppossed to average. Mine only goes --- when the DIS is set to what it's doing at the time, not average.

i would not worry you only have to de-accelerate to see the --- display.. And mine can jump up to 100 when it feels like it.

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
Looks like it's been 'Lomonded' in the first instance!!!

As to the second, check the DIS isn't set on what the mpg is at that moment in time as oppossed to average. Mine only goes --- when the DIS is set to what it's doing at the time, not average.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you just tell him to stop moaning?

Coz he asked a serious question and wasn't feeling sorry for himself like some do when they post here - know what I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Besides, Clyde Tunnel's about 5 miles from me and I knew some guy from south of Gretna would want to stick an oar in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif (but in the friendliest possible way!)

4SilverRings, I saw a Silver S3 today (Friday) on the Clydeside expressway, about 4:40 or so. Was it you? RS Alloys. I wasn't driving the S3 though.

Anyway, on topic, as everyone has pointed out, that's quite normal. It varies wildly, but it looks neat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
4SilverRings, I saw a Silver S3 today (Friday) on the Clydeside expressway, about 4:40 or so. Was it you? RS Alloys. I wasn't driving the S3 though.

Anyway, on topic, as everyone has pointed out, that's quite normal. It varies wildly, but it looks neat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not me today (down south for a few days) and IT IS NOT NORMAL! Well, at least it isn't if you have the DIS set to 'average' but would be normal if set to 'current'. Check it out next time you're out and if both aren't doing what they're supposed to do take it back to those gits and get it sorted!!!

4SilverRings, Sanity Clause had said the overall MPG was working ok, pretty sure he was referring to the instant MPG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yes the cumulative MPG reading was fine, it was only the active MPG reading that was all over the place.
Took the car for a long run in the country today and I'm well happy with the MPG returned, beats the pants off the 22MPG I was getting from my Volvo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

4SilverRings, Sanity Clause had said the overall MPG was working ok, pretty sure he was referring to the instant MPG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but sometime with newbie owners it's better to cover things thoroughly as RTFM often offends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif