S3 cut out with ESP light on

S3 GHO

Reaction score
Hi guys,

looking for a bit of help / reassurance. Whilst greasing up my sticky back calliper, I noticed that the ESP rod connector was snapped so that needs replaced. I took the car a run thereafter and gave it the obligatory MESSAGE, which was fine ....but.... When I caned it again in first, the ESP light came on, the car then spluttered and cut out. Restarted and it ran but very very rough with the light still on. No other light on in the dash.

Car is running and esp light is now off but I'm concerned. Any thoughts on if it could just Ben that sensor or something more sinister?

Maybe try a vcds scan on it to see if there is an underlying fault. Do you have vcds cable? :) x

A guy at my work has vagcom?

I would gt a scan done for peace of mind, if you get stuck for vcds, we have plenty members in Scotland so you wont be stuck. Pm if you need assisstance with vcds. :) x

Thanks Sandra, have you heard of a car cutting out with an ESP light before? Seems weird.

Thanks Sandra, have you heard of a car cutting out with an ESP light before? Seems weird.

Not that i can remember, one of the boys will probably be along and help you out. :) x

Yup.

Maf unplugged you get the ESP light on, the car should revert to a predefined airflow table based on what the MAP sensor sees, the given RPM and load request of the TB angle combined with throttle pedal. If you have an intermittent MAF fault you *can* suffer misfires due to over fueling and see a flickers of the ESP light.

Scan it for codes; I bet it says MAF signal too high, or implausible signal.