1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 coolant level, thoughts please.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by RPB, Oct 13, 2012.

1. RPB

RPB Active Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    Hi all,
    I have had my S3 now for just over a year (wow, that has flown!) and the coolant level was on the minimum line of the expansion tank so I put in some more Audi stuff (ffs, how much?)
    I cannot see any leaks, so over time where is this going? LOL. Even though it is supposedly a sealed system and the additives change the boiling point, etc, does it still evaporate?
    Now don't get me wrong, having a car thats done 12k miles over a year and only having to fill up from min to max does not worry me, it is more of a "where the hell does it go?" type question.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 29, 2015]

3. thebambam

thebambam P.I.M.P

[Oct 13, 2012]
    I think its just boiling away ie steam I guess. Assuming the quicker you go the hotter it gets It will boil away faster?
  4. bmh.01

bmh.01 Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    It's leaking somewhere. It's a sealed, pressurised system to stop it from boiling off.

That said, top to bottom of expansion bottle marks isn't the end of the world over 12 months.
  5. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

[Oct 13, 2012]
    I've got the smallest leak in my radiator I lose a very small amount over 3 months, trickle almost but I have located the leak and eventually will get a new radiator, I wouldn't worry about it
  6. big harty

big harty Member

[Oct 14, 2012]
    I've had exactly the same problem with my s3. I found a very very small water leak dripping from my turbo. Didn't even know the y were water cooled.