1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Continentals

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by geefunk1978, Feb 18, 2014.

1. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

[Mar 1, 2014]
    i noticed today thatthe suspension and the spring rate is on the slightly / just soft side. aslightly stiffer spring mated to the same damper setting would help a wee bit with feel and bite on turn in.

the stiffer spring and 19" wheel on a 35 section Yokohama would transform the ride in warm conditions. i think the standard set up is great for damp and winter conditions, but for warmer weather a wee modification would transform the S3.

fwiw, as it stands as a daily driver, its compliant and comfortable. but if you want a wee improvement, i'd start with springs and a 19" wheel upgrade onto some great 35 section yokos.
  2. rams_s3

rams_s3 Active Member

[Mar 1, 2014]
    I haven't really pushed mine round twisty stuff yet but not noticed anything ridiculously bad. Surely if they were as bad as people say audi would have used another brand/model, I'm pretty sure extensive testing will have been done?
  3. the_lecht_rocks

[Mar 3, 2014]
    Don't forget the tyres are OEM. Probably not as effective as an aftermarket compound..... Economies of scale, etc......
  4. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

[Mar 3, 2014]
    I've had a bit of fun today and no real complaints with Contis. Agree a 19in upgrade would be good but even coming from 21s the standard set up is pretty good!
  5. driver_tim

driver_tim Active Member

[Mar 3, 2014]
    Interesting, I understood that OE tyres were the best of each batch. Is that not the case?
  6. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Mar 3, 2014]
    contis are totally ****!!! especially when tramping on! so vague with no feedback as to where the grip is. Upping the tyre pressure by 2 psi over reccomended pressure helped but are still ****.

now on Yokahama Parada Spec II's which gave transformed the feedback and steering feel on turn in! recon the contis are responsible for the poor steering feedback reviews!
    SockToy and Silky-S3 like this.
  7. the_lecht_rocks

[Mar 4, 2014]
    certainly not !! cheapest silica compound and materials - economy of scale remember.....

michelins for me moving into summer.
  8. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

[Mar 4, 2014]
    I had a moment at the weekend where the rear axle broke away through a fast bend on a greasy road whilst travelling at speed; it did so smoothly, predictably and with no snap back after correction. Yes the car lost traction but not due to lack of tyre performance.

So personally I think that the stock Continental tyres are good and you can't really complain at £95+VAT sourced, fitted and balanced. That said come summer I will be going back to Michelin PS3s purely because I'm brand loyal.

I would definitely have preferred at 19" version of the 10-spoke wheel though...
  9. d-9

d-9 New Member

[Mar 4, 2014]
    What are the standard contis on the s3? I really liked the sportcontact 5's on my m3, fantastic grip, wet or dry. Pressing on across Cornwall in driving rain there was never a hint the car was going to break away. The only issue was the 6000mile tyre life, £600/year on tyres hurts!
  10. Battlekrapz

Battlekrapz Member

[Mar 4, 2014]
    ContiSportContact5 AO 225/40R18 Y
  11. Gahan

Gahan Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Are the contis the reason that my esp pops constantly in when i am driving fast on a bad road but in dry conditions??
    Very irritating because when the esp comes in it feels like not going fast anymore.
    Anyonelse with this experience?
  12. Flibble

Flibble Active Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Not had that myself. On a bad road it could well be suspension bounce causing wheels to lose grip and so the traction control intervenes. You might also want to check your tyre pressures.

Have you tried putting it in sport mode?
  13. Dylock

Dylock Active Member

[May 11, 2014]
    I've had my esp come on at strange times too, strangely not when going fast! At the same place near home I go over a speed bump (15mph ish) then gently accelerate away in a 30mph zone and esp light comes on. Doesn't feel any different and certainly is not losing traction.
  14. Gahan

Gahan Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Yep put the tirepressures today now on 2.2
    The car does it in sportmode,especially when I reaccelerate when the s tronic put a gear down(example when I am driving slowly in let's say 3rd gear and then I push the pedal to the bottom,the s tronic changes into 2nd gear and at that moment the car cannot away with the power so the esp pops in ,but for a quattro i think that's not normal)
  15. Flibble

Flibble Active Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Just to clarify, ESP in sport mode, or gearbox?
  16. Gahan

Gahan Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Esp is on,gearbox in S mode
    What do you mean with esp in sportmode?esp(traktioncontrol has just an on/off button I guess?)
  17. Flibble

Flibble Active Member

[May 11, 2014]
    ESP has 3 modes, on, sport and off. If you press the button it toggles between on and sport. If you hold the button for 3 seconds it switches it off. Sport mode is meant to intervene less and disables traction control.
  18. ivicyrusivi

ivicyrusivi Active Member

[May 11, 2014]
    Oh nooooo :( wish I didn't read that
  19. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[May 11, 2014]
    The only time I have lost traction is when using Launch Control in the wet.
    Or deliberately provoking the car around a corner, lifting off so that the back comes round.

I have not lost traction in a straight line in the dry, not seen ESP come on in the dry in a straight line.

I think your Quattro/Haldex has a problem, you should visit someone with VCDS to do a scan.
  20. Gahan

Gahan Member

[May 12, 2014]
    Thanks for the feedback,
    Made an appointment with the dealer next wednesday...