S3,cone filter,or a uprated panel 1???

warleydaddy

Reaction score
Whats the best then?? Induction roar doesnt bother me,but do they heat soak,or are they ok,or is a uprated panel filter better??? Just wanna be 100% sure??

Pete...:readit:

Pete, i havent got 1 but have read quite a bit, basically the cones dont really benefit and the original air box is a good design....the serious people have mostly gone for K&N panels

Cheers buddy....

Where have you read that?? Would like ot see what folks prefer,on what set ups etc etc.. Cheers for the speedy reply..:salute:

Pete..

Pete, I have actually heard that there is no need to change the panel filter at all as the standard ones are more than adequate of handling quite a bit of power.

Have also heard that the upgraded filters are not good for the MAf and can cause probs....if you do a search on the forum, you will find a fair bit of info on filters on here.

Hope that helps.

on here, just use the search function..... also if you have a look on the stickies at the top of this forum there is a performance mod testing section where im sure the filter was tested in most of its forms by someone ho arguably got the most out of his standard kO4 turbo'ed S3

its amazing how many think that the air filter is the instant solution.... i suppose it would make a slight difference in the average car?

i've read alot and spoke to a revo dealer who much prefer itg panels , APS like bmc panels and cc like green panel cotton filters. lots of varients.

i've read alot and spoke to a revo dealer who much prefer itg panels , APS like bmc panels and cc like green panel cotton filters. lots of varients.

Sadly, many opinions are from those who make their living from selling 'tuning parts' and, purely by coincidence, happen to recommend the part which they make the most money on!

I prefer dyno plots as proof, carried out by people who are not affiliated to any 'tuner', who have a sensible head on and don't expect miracles, and wo carry out testing of so called tuning products 'blind' to the operator of the dyno, so there is no 'manipulating' of the results.

I've personally tested so many 'tuning products' that claimed huge power/torque gains...and got precisely nothing. Nowt, Nadda, Zip, despite being shown dyno plots from tuners that show massive gains...

Tuning companies exist to sell products.
Dynos can be manipulated.
You can work the rest out...

Sadly, if you have had your wallet lightened to the tune of £500, you will expect a good power gain, or nobody will but the latest amazing tuning add-on. In reality, modern cars are well designed and built to extract good power...so gaining 10BHP from a K&N or 15NHP from an exhaust just isn't going to happen. People need to wake up to this fact.

In a nutshell they offer no power gains, i have a BMC CDA with Cold air feed. Pricey bit of kit which is why i got mine 2nd hand. Only bought it for the noise though, no power gains what-so ever.

Jason

dont it make the dump valve a little bit louder ? not that loud is good

Rav check out Ess's sticky at the top of the forum, all you need is in there fella

A standard airbox is good...even better with a 4" cold air feed, but you'll need to have removed the passenger side FMIC to have the space.

I alternated between a standard filter and K&N panel filter and noticed no differences, even when pushing the K04 hard with high boost.

Standard doesn't seem to restrict...and doesn't risk the MAF...so standard is pretty good in my book.

EssThree, apologies to the OP for going completely off topic but i am the new owner of your old s3. Bought it from dj around six weeks ago.:thumbsup:
Andy.

i upgraded to a k&n panel, only because i needed to change the filter as part of my service and i managed to get one brand new and very cheap from ebay. There is an increase of noise when the turbo spools up. no power gains, although i didnt expect any. i was also informed that because it does not need oiling it will not effect the maf. I have had the filter on the car for 6000miles and i have since had the maf readings logged and they are fine so im happy to leave it on the car.

EssThree,
I am loving it thanks, its a bit different to my old impreza, less raw but more quality.
I wondered what was the story behind the identical 2 sets of bbs split rims?

EssThree,
I am loving it thanks, its a bit different to my old impreza, less raw but more quality.

Good stuff...

I wondered what was the story behind the identical 2 sets of bbs split rims?

I didn't know it still had!
Going off topic...but:

Originally I bought a set in silver, with delivery miles, off the lad that used to run the TT owners club...and I ran them.
There were slight signs of corrosion appearing, so I bought a second set and re-furbed them with grey centres to see how they looked. I liked them, so I did both sets the same way.
Each set had different tyres on, so I could swap between them to try them.

I sold the car to David R...complete with both sets of BBS RSIIs...but thought he'd sold one set on.
David J bought it, I thought with only one set...and eventually I think he'd re-furbed a set (we spoke about it at the time) so I can only think that David J bought another set for it.

Did you ever see the pictures of when it was up at Polished Bliss?

Ess Three,
I didn't ask dj about the wheels, i must have forgotten in the excitement. When i picked it up it had the grey wheels on and dj had refurbed the other set in silver. Since i've had it i have changed them over.
I put a wanted ad on here for a noggy blue with blue/black seats and dj was the only one to reply, so when i asked for pics he suggested i contact polished bliss.
Rich from pb kindly sent me a cd with more than 140 photos of their great work so i knew what to expect when i travelled up by train to pick up the s3.
I understand that you, david R and dj had problems with the miltek exhaust catching the floor,:uhm: i am gonna have a bash at the problem next week.
Andy.

Ess Three,
I didn't ask dj about the wheels, i must have forgotten in the excitement. When i picked it up it had the grey wheels on and dj had refurbed the other set in silver. Since i've had it i have changed them over.

Ahh...OK.

I put a wanted ad on here for a noggy blue with blue/black seats and dj was the only one to reply, so when i asked for pics he suggested i contact polished bliss.
Rich from pb kindly sent me a cd with more than 140 photos of their great work so i knew what to expect when i travelled up by train to pick up the s3.

Where abouts are you now?
It's gone from being bought at Highland Audi in Inverness, to Ellon where I am, to Dundee, to Glasgow...to you. Heading south each time .

I understand that you, david R and dj had problems with the miltek exhaust catching the floor,:uhm: i am gonna have a bash at the problem next week.
Andy.

Yeah, the hopeless thing never fitted properly.
I contacted Milltek many times but in each case it was my fault for fitting it wrongly. How the box and tailpipes can be out of alignment because of my fitting escapes me.
Anyhow, I couldn't fix it...
Nor could Star Performance...
Nor could David R...
Nor could David J.
It only seems to hit when the thing gets really hot (which it gets, with the boost it's running!). I thought it was catching of the rear diff carrier...but never solved the problem.

Good luck in sorting it.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on the car on here. I miss it...

Ess Three,
I am in Leeds, so i had an entertaining drive home, had a little play with another s3 on the a66.
A friend of mine who's son is racing at knockhill today has picked up (hopefully) the original wheels/tyres and exhaust, so if i can't sort out the miltek i will put the original one on. It can't be that hard .:whistle2:
I have read nearly all the stuff on here about your testing of various mods and i am pleased to be able to enjoy them, i certainly wouldn't have the time or inclination......
Andy.