S3 cold air feed

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
a quick mod for anyone running single FMIC on S3, I installed this on my S3 just to help get cold air to the factory box, remove n/s front wheel and arch liner, using a 60mm dia hose,( i used one from a pipercross kit), thread one end along the cavity in the inner wing and then angle down towards fog light where n/s i/c used to be, it is a very tight fit, the other end can then be moulded onto the exposed triangular shaped factory air feed, replace arch liner which holds air tubing tight and replace wheel.
Car now roars like a spitfire, 0-60 in less than 4 secs, and i had it off the clock when testing. AB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

your car sounds interesting and very fast mate, could you share all the mods you have done and also what sort of power you currently are pushing pease?

[ QUOTE ]

Car now roars like a spitfire, 0-60 in less than 4 secs, and i had it off the clock when testing. AB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 0-60 in under 4 secs possible in an S3?(apart from driving it off a cliff that is) I'd be suprised if an S3 can crack 5 secs! how much power are you running?

[ QUOTE ]
a quick mod for anyone running single FMIC on S3, I installed this on my S3 just to help get cold air to the factory box, remove n/s front wheel and arch liner, using a 60mm dia hose,( i used one from a pipercross kit), thread one end along the cavity in the inner wing and then angle down towards fog light where n/s i/c used to be, it is a very tight fit, the other end can then be moulded onto the exposed triangular shaped factory air feed, replace arch liner which holds air tubing tight and replace wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Installing a 60mm cold air feed is only possible if you remove the passenger-side side mount intercooler which is what you do if you fit a FMIC.

As for 0-60 in under 4 seconds... I'd have to say you are talking out of your ****! It just ain't possible from a 1.8 litre engine regardless the size of turbo - including with NOS!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I suggest that if you do this, you use a larger hose than 60mm?

You need to get as much cold air in there as possible...
Bin the entry into the standard airbox too...that's restrictive.

I did a similar mod 3 years ago...I added a 100mm hose, taken from the point of highest pressure at the front of the car 9measured with a manometer) up through where the old SMIC used to be, and into the airbox.

You think a 60mm hose is tight...
Try a 100mm hose!

12992136-3829-02000180-.jpg

12992139-6ae8-02000180-.jpg

12992232-d193-02000180-.jpg

16037014-5a2a-02000180-.jpg

Best of all...stealthy...
12992140-8497-02000180-.jpg

Crikey, steady on guys the last line of post was pure sarcasm not to be taken as gospel.
In reality the mod was for peace of mind as a standard air feed relies on air being forced or sucked in from around n/s headlight, the only noticable difference performance wise is slightly louder dv noise and turbo whistle and a little smoother take up although that is more likely to be an improvement after the FMIC install.

Nice pics Ess_Three, i bet that hose was a b*tch to fit, tried something similar when i was running a bmc cda filter, but still had oem i/c's fitted so had to terminate hose at rear of headlight. AB

[ QUOTE ]
your car sounds interesting and very fast mate, could you share all the mods you have done and also what sort of power you currently are pushing pease?

[/ QUOTE ]

will post spec and figs soon, a bit pushed for time,(mrs moaning), at mo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif AB

It's hard to see where that hose ends up glen,is it facing the front of the car or towards the ground?

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to see where that hose ends up glen,is it facing the front of the car or towards the ground?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kinda doing both...not facing forwards (I didn't want to fill the airbox with leaves) but not facing straight down either...sort of at 45 degrees with the bumper on.

It's located to pick up the highest pressure point I could access...not just fast airflow.
Cold air is great...but the air being sucked up is just as cold as the air going straight in...and the pressure was slightly higher at the top of the bumper duct, compared to having the hose facing straight out the front.

so, I placed it at the highest pressure point...mild ram-air and all that...

Hey, it's only mB, but it all helps!!

I've got some hose identical to that and have fitted a green panel filter but have not had the balls to chop up my standard airbox,i'm a chicken!!

[ QUOTE ]
I've got some hose identical to that and have fitted a green panel filter but have not had the balls to chop up my standard airbox,i'm a chicken!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to cut much...just remove all the standard stuff from the airbox and enlarge the hole slightly.
You have to oval the hose to get it in anyway, or you'll not get the filter back in...you can't go wrong.

You'll need no passenger side SMIC though in order to get that hose through!

Don't have a passenger smic,have fmic like yours.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't have a passenger smic,have fmic like yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get a 100mm hose in there then.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ok glen i need to take the bumper off anyway as my headlamp washers have stopped working ,i reckon they have seized up over the winter as there only powered by water pressure.