1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 coilpack recall, misfire and other problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Mi7rennie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

Hi Guys,

Just had my 2002 BAM S3 in at Dundee audi having it checked for the coilpack recall. According to them they are all of the correct type so don't need changed.

I'm pretty bummed about this as the car has developed a misfire, very slight at idle, fine when driving gently but as soon as you try accelerate hard as the boost rises the car starts misfiring and power is reduced.

When it does this I tend to back off the throttle, but if I keep my foot in then I get a CEL warning light.

I've done the N249 bypass and I'm going to fit a catch can this weekend.

I guess it could still be a faulty coilpack that is causing the misfire.... any other suggestions?

Audi also informed me that there is a broken spring on the rear, it's lowered on Eibach springs, does anyone know i you can by these individually?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. camscockle20vT

camscockle20vT The stigs ugly brother

Did they scan it for fault codes?

Does the car idle lumpy?

As it could be anything from split pcv pipes down to a shot 02sensor and everything inbetween.

Catch can and n249 delet are good mods anyway, but id clean the throttle body both sides and check for perished pipes to the inlet manifold.

Hope this helps.

4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Airs leaks are a common issue so check for those (smoke test helps)... misfiring under load could be a lean AFR issue... this could suggest a tired fuel pump... pressure gauge test on the fuel lines would be an idea as would logging of fuelling blocks under load in VCDS...

A scan for fault codes would be first port of call...

This may also be relevant... seen this on BAM engine codes so far...
    Fuel system too rich fault code? see inside, it might be this - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

<tuffty/>

5. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

the thing was it was running fine when I bought it. only done 700 miles but it does seem to be getting worse!

6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Sadly means nowt mate...

Scan it first and post the faults...

Check for splits etc in any pipe that looks plastic or rubber (mostly under the inlet manifold)... if there is oil there is most likely a split pipe...

Log the car in VCDS to test fuelling (block 031)

<tuffty/>

7. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

There is a very slight miss at idle.

I'll need to contact one of the VCDS guys neer me and see if they can help with logging.

I'm also going to check pipe work tonight and clean the injectors as per the FAQ.

8. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

So injectors ultrasonically cleaned and fpr cleaned.
    Still missing.

Going to do the catch can and TIP at the weekend.

hopefully get the car on VCDS too. I'll post logs here.

9. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

Changed the fuel filter, the fuel inside was very dirty and black. Still missing.

Going to do the catch can mod and TIP and change to 2.0 TFSI coil packs this weekend.

Also noticed that the earth strap from the coil loom to the top of the rocker cover doesn't look too good. Maybe I'll chop it out and replace it with a new piece of cable.

10. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

coilpacks fixed it! happily boosting again