1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Clutch options

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by nershen, Jul 26, 2007.

1. nershen

nershen New Member

[Jul 26, 2007]
    Hi All.

What clutch would you guys recomend for my S3. Was thinking about going for a standard clutch, but what other options are there? I need something that can handle 270-300bhp on the engine.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

[Jul 26, 2007]
    What kind of torque are we talking?

And for what use?

Road/Normal driving

Sprints

Track
  4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jul 26, 2007]
    As Dave says, the torque is the important thing, not the power. I cooked my standard clutch with some spirited road driving one day and I've got just over 310 lb/ft which I believe is around the limit for a 'standard' clutch.

I've got a Sachs Power Clutch 'Organic' which is rated to 340 lb/ft. RRP is £551.65 plus allow another 5 hours labour for fitting. Bought from JBS Autodesigns in Chesterfield on a Group Buy with SeatCupra.net.

Also worth budgeting for a new flywheel as well as chances are if the clutch is slipping the flywheel could do with replacing as well, and it makes sense to do it when the car is all in bits rather than pay for another 5 hours labour to have it done at another time.
  5. nershen

nershen New Member

[Jul 26, 2007]
    I do a bit of drag racing (once a month with hard launches) and I'm planning to start some track driving too.

On a bad day at the dyno my car made 140kw and 311nm on the wheels. Thats probably around +/-260hp and well under 300lb/ft on the engine.

Seems like the stock clutch will do but I'm worried about it lasting with all the 'spirited' driving!
  6. AwesomeSarah

AwesomeSarah Member

[Jul 26, 2007]
    I would say Helix
    That is a good one and comes with the SMF
    It is well rated and retails at approx £800.00 + VAT
    That is for the SMF , clutch plate , pressure plate and the release bearing
    Sarah
  7. Dave_Bayern

[Jul 26, 2007]
    For the type of stuff you will be doing, get a sports clutch and a lightened flywheel, dump the cack dual mass standard setup...
  8. Dave_Bayern

[Jul 26, 2007]
    A lot of US companies ship to the UK and you can take advantage of the excellent pound to dollar rates right now.

I got a 320ft.lb Sachs clutch and lightened ABF/G60 flywheel for the 02J/02A gearbox for £200 only last week.

I paid £120 to have it fitted.

OK, So I know the gearbox on the S3 is a different code, but find out what it is and go looking on ATP, Eurospec, ECS etc, it can't be as expensive as UK prices.
  9. nershen

nershen New Member

[Jul 26, 2007]
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm in South Africa so we get ripped off for everything!

Will have a look at all the options, but I'm thinking about putting in the stock clutch for now, depending on price.
    Planning to slap on a GT28RS or GT3071 turbo in the future so maybe I'll upgrade to a decent clutch then.