1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Clunking/Knocking noise coming from front end even after changing drop links!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by muzzy1990, Apr 27, 2013.

1. muzzy1990

muzzy1990 New Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    iv got a 2008 s3 that was lowered before i bought it. not sure on what but recently ive had a clunking/knocking noise coming from the front left of the car which after a bit of research changed the drop links. the noise is still there and is getting worse! the smallest bump and im getting noises and its driving me insane!! any ideas guys would be much appreciated!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. A3_130

A3_130 Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    Anti roll bar bushes maybe? They'll knock when you hit bumps if the rubber (or poly, depends what you've got fitted) bushes are worn.
  4. muzzy1990

muzzy1990 New Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    im not sure, the car went into audi for a mot 2 weeks ago and i did mention it but they said theres nothing wrong. it even went for a service lat week and again not a peep!
  5. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    i would take a guess at ARB bushes also. Took mine into the garage 4 weeks ago for them to investigate a knocking noise i had on the front which i was only experiencing when going over pot holes. Took it for a road test and it didn't knock at all - no potholes. They then got it up on the ramp and couldn't really find anything obvious except for some very minor play in one of the ARB bushes.

So i booked it in to have these bushes replaced and when they took the old ones off they both had massive holes in them
  6. JPK

JPK Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    Will likely be subframe shifting, fixed with tyrolsport deadset subframe kit. Or worn strut mounts.
  7. davc

davc Foursprung Duck Technik

[May 16, 2013]
    I've got the dreaded clunk over uneven surfaces as well and it's doing my head in. The arb bushes are fine so I'm going to try new top mounts and bearings.

If this doesn't fix it is the Tyrolsport Deadset kit available in the UK, or do I need to order it from the US?
  8. JPK

JPK Member

[May 16, 2013]
    Order from US but shipping is quick. I got mine in NZ within 2 weeks.
  9. davc

davc Foursprung Duck Technik

[May 16, 2013]
    Thanks mate. Didn't realise you're in NZ! Awesome GTI in the UK stock the ECS Tuning Spacer kit @ just over £14 so I'll probably try that as a much cheaper alternative.