S3 clatter on startup.....

bpascua

Reaction score
Hello All,

My 2002 S3 has a very slight clatter when I first start it up from cold. It sounds a tiny bit like diesel for the first 1/2 second. Then it quietens downs and runs very well. Could this be because the car was used to not being driven much before I bought it? (last few years 3k) When I had it serviced they used an engine flush and I have now go it on fixed serivce intervals using mobile one. This has made it much better, but is this normal?

Thanks

Brian

yeah, mine does that too. Been wondering about what it could be for a while.

it's funny isnt it, I used to drive an old 12 year old MX5 that used to do the same - I thought technology might have moved on by now.....

Isn't it just that the oil has drained down when the engine is not running and it take 1/2 second to build up oil pressure again? Possible made worse by the fact that modern oils are incredibly thin.

Mine does it as well. sounds rubbish a first! just like diesel.

The basic 1.8 engine has been around for a while don't forget.

It takes those 1 or 2 seconds for oil to be forced up through the guides and into the tappets. Totally normal.

The noise you hear is the VVT mechanism. Mine does exactly the same thing.

When I was at JBS in Derby the other week they said straight away that's what it is. The mechanism can be replaced, it is fitted in the right hand side of the head IIRC.