1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Chugging

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JS3, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JS3

JS3 Member

[Jun 21, 2012]
    Hi guys, think Ive asked the question before but this is getting worse....I have a 2010 S3 s-tronic with a bit of an unusual problem.

Whilst accelerating low down in the rev range (about 2,000rpm) in 4/5/6 gear, the car tends to 'chug' a couple of times. This is quite violent and can be felt in the seat whilst driving. No rhyme or reason to it being cold/hot, after been pushed hard etc not all the time so it is fairly erratic.

However, I have now noticed that the car is doing the same whilst accelerating sharp and around 3k or 4k rpm. I have been back to Audi and believe it or not, the car behaved itself (on 3 separate occasions!) - plugged into the computer and no errors. Gearbox oil checked for level and contamination but no luck.

Anybody else having the same issue? My next thought is that the fuel filter needs to be changed.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jun 21, 2012]
    If its misfiring it maybe the plugs.

When were they last changed?

The service intervals quoted by Audi for things like that are a bit ambitious.
  4. JS3

JS3 Member

[Jun 21, 2012]
    The plugs have never been changed - car has done 17,500 miles. What mileage should they be changed at?

Im not getting any missing whilst idling, and the car is smooth whilst normal driving (apart from my problem above)
  5. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Jun 21, 2012]
    God knows what mileage Audi quote (something mental I imagine), but if my S3 was chugging on plugs that had done nearly 20k, I'd spend the small amount that they cost and change them!
  6. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jun 21, 2012]
    Audi say at each service interval I think but they're nowhere near that long lived.

If the car is mapped and even if it's not I'd change them more often.
    Obviously mine isn't standard but the plugs are changed every 5000 miles.

Another weak spot is the coil packs sometimes.
  7. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Jun 21, 2012]
    Fuel filter plugs coils injectors could all cause it plugs and filter being the cheapest
  8. JS3

JS3 Member

[Jun 22, 2012]
    Thanks guys - think I need to start changing things. Will start with the filter and plugs....!
  9. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Jun 22, 2012]
    let us know how you get on :)
  10. SiT

SiT Member

[Jun 23, 2012]
    I had a standard car (S3) and experienced spluttering which eventually manifested in misfiring. I swapped the coil packs around myself and changed the fuel filter before handing it back to the dealer. It ended up being the spark plugs..! Thankfully covered by warranty as the car had a major service 7 months prior to which the parts had a 2 year warranty so all done for FOC..! If you've had it serviced recently my Audi then get it in - if not i'd still punt on buying plugs myself and trying them.
  11. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Jun 24, 2012]
    If it's MY 2010 car, take it to Dealer for a warranty claim.
    Plugs normally last +40k miles..
  12. JS3

JS3 Member

[Jun 24, 2012]
    Thanks again guys. Unfortunately the car seems to be behaving every time I take it to the dealers and yes it is a standard S3 with no mods.

Guess I shall start with changing the filter and plugs and stump up the cash and time myself. Taking it to a dealer is just too much of an inconvenience.
  13. JS3

JS3 Member

[Jul 16, 2012]
    All,

Just as a way of update, I replaced the plugs and the fuel filter and so far (touch wood) the issue has disappeared. Plugs were a bit blackened but nothing major.

The main difference was the fuel filter - different part number (old: 1K0 201 051C ; new: 1K0 201 051K - I assume there are revisions, i.e. C, D, E, F... versions etc and K is the latest?), and a higher pressure rating (old: 6.4bar; new: 6.6bar). How would this effect things?

Thanks for the help.
  14. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jul 16, 2012]
    Plugs wear awfully quickly.

If it's not mapped,then they have a chance of making the service intervals,but even then it's asking a lot.

Glad it's worked out.