1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Chip - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by benhancock_uk, Jun 3, 2005.

1. benhancock_uk

benhancock_uk New Member

Hello All....

I've read loads on here about the different chip type availible for my standard S3 (225), but I was wondering what kind of performance difference I can expect and how noticable it will be.

Also what can I do to make it sound better?
  2. jediknight

jediknight Member

yes it does make a difference!! alot more punch at 3000rpm in all gears and it pulls better to the redline

i would definately recomend it but i would pay £550 + vat for it... i would wait for a group buy (recent one i did was £470 inc vat) or xmas special

as for sound. fit a supersprint exhaust for a bit of a louder tone... but you cant really get a better engine sound.... apart from transplanting the r32 lump!
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    yes it does make a difference!! alot more punch at 3000rpm in all gears and it pulls better to the redline

i would definately recomend it but i would pay £550 + vat for it... i would wait for a group buy (recent one i did was £470 inc vat) or xmas special

as for sound. fit a supersprint exhaust for a bit of a louder tone... but you cant really get a better engine sound.... apart from transplanting the r32 lump!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can, but it does mean getting radical, and simply for the sake of sound, its not worth it. big manifold, 3.5" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust does sound pretty good!

Rich
  4. Yes it is worth it - it makes a huge difference to the car's performance.

As a bonus, under gentle driving the MPG is better (but worse under boost!).
  5. Masterm8fo

Masterm8fo Warmonger

i have got the mpg in my A3 down to 20mpg after my AmD chip - only had it done on tuesay so perhaps il be less heavy footed after filling up again at weekend
    saw 30+mpg on m/way on way back from Bicester on tuesday cruising at 85-100

the Chip is def worth it (my A3 is great now @ 200bhp - imagine an S3 would be awesome @ 260-ish)
    would of course try to get a deal at £500 or less tho and Group buy will no doubt be on again soon enough
  6. clarko

clarko Member

I would! just got My 1.8TQ done at jabbasport, they got it up to 227 form 180. well worth the $$
  7. benhancock_uk

benhancock_uk New Member

Just looked at the REVO software..... anyone thinking of a group booking soon?
  8. jediknight

jediknight Member

revo were very dismissive when i approached them regarding a group buy... wouldnt budge on the price.

call Ed and AMD and tell him Nathan refered you and see if you can get in on the £470 price still.
  9. ianhg

ianhg Member

its definatly worth chipping imo, fit an indcution kit for that great sucking turbo scream!
  10. Online

I'd have to agree, get it chipped you won't look back (except to see all the cars your passing!!)
  11. ritmark

ritmark Member

Ed at AMD top bloke - I am sure he will sort you out although when I asked him today how much I would normally be charged he did confirm £646+Vat

£470 looks a great buy