1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Chat

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Nutkins, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    Hi all, :hi:

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for a good while. Seems pretty friendly and busy. :icon_thumright:

Whilst I do think it's a tad pricey for what it is I'd really love an S3, mainly due to the lovely interior, the 4wd and the power/remap potential. I currently drive a Mk5 GTI. I have a few questions if you guys could indulge me? Would be particularly keen to hear the thoughts of anyone who's moved from (or even driven) a MK5 GTI...

• How is the 'reduced travel' gearbox? I really love a good manual box, and think the one in the GTI is great. Does the S3 have a really short throw or is it more marketing talk?
    • For anyone that's driven a GTI - does it feel like a decent step-up in performance? It's certainly a fair jump in price!
    • Does anyone here have an S3 with the Cloth interior? I'm not that keen on leather as I think it gets to clamy in the summer. Do you think it would hurt resale to specify the cloth? I've read reports of the leather in the S3 wearing really quickly, so maybe cloth would be a good idea long term?
    • Has anyone on here imported their S3? A while back someone on here posted a link to a European dealer (I think in Denmark) that had a page in English for people that wanted to import. However I've searched and searched and can't find it for love nor money. Being interested to know what savings can be made...
    I'd go for Dolphin Grey (Grey is my fav for all cars as it reminds me of Aston Martins - and not too eye catching for the scumbags), with essential options for me being, flat bottom steering wheel, bose, interior light package, thru-load and armrest. With the RNS retro-fit to follow soon after, and then after a bit a remap.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input. :salute:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    Welcome to AS.net. S3 eh? good choice, but I'm biased. ;)

To your questions-
    1 My wife has a sportback and although I haven't measured the travel, I can say that there's not much in it.
    2 GTI? Sorry not driven one recently.
    3. I don't think anyone on here has the cloth interior, as you say it may harm the resale value. The leather shouldn't be too clamy with the aircon turned on. If it bothers you, why not have alcantara?
    4. I remember a post a while ago which mentioned imports. He did say there wasn't much of a saving with the Euro/Sterling exchange rates.

Hope this helps.
  4. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    I had a mark 5 GTI, 3 door, 18" monza, colour coded and remapped plus full turbo back miltek - great car and great fun.

In a word 'Yes' the S3 is far quicker in every aspect especially mapped. Fuel consumption is greater probably due to 4wd but only by about 3/4 mpg overall.

If you don't like leather opt for Alcantra to protect resale as majority would prefer lthr.

The Audi seems expensive but is a great step up in quality over the Golf so feels worth the extra Money plus consider the S3 is fairly highly specced as standard.

Spin
  5. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    Thanks a lot guys :sm4:
  6. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 29, 2008]
    Regarding leather - some people make the assumption that leather doesn't need looking after, mistake, if you treat it properly it should stand the test of time. Personally, I'd be worried with maintaining alcantra....

As mentioned above, you shouldn't get clammy with the aircon mate.

Have you test driven yet? You'll really feel the difference from your gti
  7. siu00adg

siu00adg Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    Regarding the leather, If you can afford it go for the buckets, I have them on mine and they're totally awesome!, they look fantastic, very comfortable and great when you're chucking the car around a bit, I'm always trying to persuade potential S3 buyers to spec them!
  8. L60N

L60N Guest

[Jan 30, 2008]
    I want my car :motz:
  9. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

[Jan 30, 2008]
    jamiekp - not test driven yet unfortunatly no. My local dealer hasn't had one since forever and were pretty uninterested when I spoke to them.. I'll get round to it soon. I've driven A3's before though and to be honest I'd probably buy an S3 without a test drive if it came to it (if I got one from an on-line dealer or something)
    Still don't like paying for something I wouldn't choose normally RE the leather.

siu00adg, Agreed the bucket seats look amazing and also very supportive. Too expensive for me though!

Spin140 - was your GTI a manual? If so how would you compare the S3 box?
  10. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Jan 30, 2008]
    The heated leather is free mate!

p
  11. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

[Jan 30, 2008]
    Interestingly I made the comment early on about feeling clammy with the leather but I find the standard seats are worse for the sticky leather feeling than the buckets that are in my car !

Richard
  12. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Jan 30, 2008]
    Free? Not quite, I'd prefer to use the term standard. But I see where you're coming from. ;)
  13. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Jan 30, 2008]
    Lol i know where your coming from John , but you can spec other material for your seat's thats also of no charge!

The point i was making was he will not be charged any extra if he specs leather over cloth.

p
  14. S3 LTN

S3 LTN Guest

[Jan 31, 2008]
    Patience my man. lol. Worth the wait.
    I had to wait 6months for mine.
  15. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Jan 31, 2008]

Its been a while since I have driven a GTI but yes mine was a manual.

I know the S3 has a sports box with reduced travel but from what I can remember its not a massive difference to the Gti, I never had any prolems with either box.

The S3 sounds better than the standard GTI and the wind noise is notably less.

To me the S3 is a natural progression from the GTI - Go for it.
  16. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Jan 31, 2008]
    I had managed to have a proper drive of an Edition 30 GTI on monday and the gearbox on the S3 is much more solid and purposeful....GTI box seems a lot more vauge in selection to me.
  17. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 31, 2008]
    Loving your sig shot S3IZZO - what's the story behind that?
  18. DemianM

DemianM RWD sucks!

[Jan 31, 2008]
    Are the alcantara seats leather on the sides, or is it vinyl??
  19. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Jan 31, 2008]
    Magazine shoot - there's an Audi R8 on the right hand of the photo but I cut it out because it makes my car look poop :)
  20. gr1zly

gr1zly Member

[Feb 1, 2008]
    I've got a question for those of you that had already instaled full miltek exhaust.
    Did the noise increased in that way that's anoying when you are driving for a long distans? When I drive my standart S3 more then 120 mph it is ok :)

Can you fill more power, or nothing speciali have changed?

Last and most important is it worth paying a bit for it?
  21. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Feb 1, 2008]

Yes they have leather on the side and the alcantara in the middle, I have these seats and love them. Dont slide about like the previous s3's!!
  22. DemianM

DemianM RWD sucks!

[Feb 2, 2008]
    I wasnt sure....I have noticed on my brand New S3 that the sides (leather) are stating to get some creases with only 1500 kms, so I want to use a leather conditioner to avo¡d bigger ones as time goes by....buy my previous car (130i M) had LOTS of vinyl in the "leather" seats....so wasnt sure about it....

:)
  23. CJP80

CJP80 987C

[Feb 3, 2008]
    TBH, it does for me....but I feel the gains are worth it. Even my "resonated" exhaust is fairly loud. Although it is not really any louder at normal revs (2-4KRPM)

Yes, for me, it was more the power delivery and the reduction in the turbo lag.

Still undecided on that one. It is alot of money...
  24. Oli.

Oli. Member

[Feb 3, 2008]
    How much is the full Milltek? And how much is the turbo back?
  25. CJP80

CJP80 987C

[Feb 3, 2008]
    The "full" exhaust is the turbo back. About £1200 fully fitted. Awesome GTI do it for £900ish.

If I go for a CS or TTS though I'll be selling mine...
  26. gr1zly

gr1zly Member

[Feb 4, 2008]
    Thanks for info probably i will do something with my S3 becouse it isn't fast enought like 360 bhp evo i had...