S3 buying help/opinions

munster732

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am looking at an S3 as a future purchase. I have an 08 Skoda Fabia tdi for commuting the 55 miles daily so probably the S3 would be a weekend car but possibly a daily as well. I have read the buying guide but would value some enthusiast input or advice.
I am old (43) but still would like to go to around 300 bhp eventually.
Really would prefer a nogaru blue or imola yellow car. These have caught my eye, thoughts please guys.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191943267215?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182031825283?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608076586604/usedcars?logcode=visc

Many thanks
Wayne

Thought about buying an already modded one? Getting from standard to near 300bhp would be expensive...

Thought about buying an already modded one? Getting from standard to near 300bhp would be expensive...

I agree, mine was completely standard and now 300hp, will been a few thousand if you're going to do properly which you won't get back.

If I was buying again I would get one with the work done but done properly and not cheaply

Wouldn't read too much into service history unless the oil changes are proven to be at very regular intervals... one of the biggest issues with the 1.8t is how varied the engine wear is... have seen 90k engines that are shot to bits and 150k engines factory fresh...

By regular I mean 10k mile intervals... get compression and leak down tests done as soon as you can on any car you are considering buying or have bought if you can... all the other bits are likely to be swapped out on the route to the elusive 300hp which only the select few have done... most rarely top 280hp these days, 300 is a holy grail (despite what the internet may tell you)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Gonzokew and munster732
Approximately 280bhp is fairly straight forward and on standard turbo, if it's healthy. 300bhp and you're looking at exhaust manifold, hybrid turbo etc. Depends how much you want to spend really.

Things to look for, check to see how it idles, if it's hunting for revs etc it could be split breather pipes (these love to split and cause boost leaks and rough running if they're servere) could also be boost solenoid, MAF sensor, not major things but things to look out for.

Likely to be over 100,000 mile cars, see if the oil pump has been done, if not then do it when you get the car. I wasn't aware you're on borrowed time with the oil pump after 100,000 and mine failed and caused engine seizure and thus engine failure at 117,000. Don't make that mistake.

Usual things, clutch okay, suspension, when was cambelt/water pump changed? Any smoke out the exhaust, blue means turbo dying or valve steam seals which do like the go at the mileage were looking at.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me. They're pretty bulletproof cars if looked after

Reactions: munster732
Hi, it does make financial sense to buy one already modded, it's just that most of the modded ones I have looked at on the net look a bit rough round the edges. I want a car that is in really good condition and it seems to be the standard ones that are for sale look in better condition.
I am in no rush at all so will just keep net looking till one really blows me away.....could be a long wait

Tha
I agree, mine was completely standard and now 300hp, will been a few thousand if you're going to do properly which you won't get back.

If I was buying again I would get one with the work done but done properly and not cheaply

That's a very good point, but I guess "properly" is quite a subjective word and means different things to different people. No rush though so will see what pops up!

Standard are the ones that fetch good money and more likely to hold their value better, bit boring though.

Buy my one! Its a bargain. (Check the Classified thread)