1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by andywaddy, Jul 17, 2011.

1. quattro81

quattro81 All the gear.. No idea

[Jul 18, 2011]
    So to go back on topic.. I think paddy and I have established that as long as you have the correct tax disc holder, the choice of s3 is a little academic...?
  2. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Jul 18, 2011]
    If i had know they came in twist off i would have kept the 3.2 !! As it was the tax ran out so i sold it quick :)
  3. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer

[Jul 18, 2011]
  4. andywaddy

andywaddy Member

[Jul 18, 2011]
    Haha...so basically if I don't have an Audi tax disc which is like fort knox to undo, I won't get accepted into the club?

...better take a quick trip to ebay then...
  5. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer

[Jul 18, 2011]
    ...Make sure you buy a new and improved twist off... gotta move with the times :ohmy:
  6. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 18, 2011]
    The engine block is actually made of vermicular graphite cast iron, the first time it has been used in a petrol engine. This material is has much higher tensile strength then regular cast iron and so enabled Audi to make the cylinder wall much thinner, and hence a lighter block, the engine only weighs 183KG.
    The 2.5 TFSI is a very different engine to the 2.5 NA 5cylinder in the USA jetta- not even based on the same block!
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Jul 18, 2011]
    Yes but it weights more than my old V6 3.2 and that was supposedly ripe for understeer in the A3 chassis and that is why they have tried hard to lighten the front of the RS3 and TTRS.. Its a trade off which is never a great marketing angle for a brand new model and thats why i dont think they will have the nerve to put it in a new s3, or A3 come to that. You cant just take an engine, you have to add the Turbo and intercooler and rads etc. From what i can see the TTRS weights 50kg more than a TTS despite lightning up the front and its still got a weight distribution of 60/40...even my old 3.2 was better than that.
  8. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Jul 18, 2011]
    The extra weight doesn't come only from the bigger engine though. Remember the RS is putting out a lot more power so the entire drivetrain must be stronger, so the extra weight also comes from bigger brakes, heavier gearbox / drivetrain internals etc.

Also the understeering nature of the A3 3.2 and haldex A3s in general ( which is much less then most FWD hatchbacks) is not just due to nose heaviness ( from the big VR6) but also from the way Audi have set the chassis up. The RS4 was also very nose heavy but did not suffer from that heavy power understeer at all thanks to a good chassis set up.
    And With a transverse front engine and 4wd ANY car is going to be front heavy.