S3 bumper respray - how much?

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hi,

My S3 rear bumper has quite a lot of hairline scratches, which are due to taking stuff in and out of the boot over the years. Not that bad really but like many here I'm a perfectionist!

Roughly how much would it cost to have the rear bumper re-sprayed? I haven't got a clue about these things so not sure if it's affordable / worth it.

Cheers.

Will they polish out? Are they laquer scratches or are they through to the paint? Can you feel them with your finger nail?

[ QUOTE ]
Will they polish out? Are they laquer scratches or are they through to the paint? Can you feel them with your finger nail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Polishing them certainly helps but there are a few that are white (technical term!) which you can feel with your finger nail.

A perfect job (i.e. bumper removed, sanded and baked) will cost between £200 and £400. Start asking questions if it is less.

payed about 30 squid for mine plus colour coded lowers.. looks decent enough

I dont see how it can be done so cheap once the VAG paint has been bought...

Or wasn't VAG paint and laquer used?

we use ici paints, which is required for vw/audi approved work
paint usually costs around £80 per bumper inc laquer

I've been quoted £375 all in (for cash) for spraying the rear bumper, drivers door and both rear quarters. This includes repairing an 8" dent in the door and several smaller dents in the rear quarters where other drivers have smacked there doors against my car in car parks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've been quoted £375 all in (for cash) for spraying the rear bumper, drivers door and both rear quarters. This includes repairing an 8" dent in the door and several smaller dents in the rear quarters where other drivers have smacked there doors against my car in car parks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cheap...
As long as it's a good job...I'd be taking him up on that offer!

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see how it can be done so cheap once the VAG paint has been bought...

Or wasn't VAG paint and laquer used?

[/ QUOTE ]

That shouldn't be an issue...
Any decent bodyshop will take any make of paint, match it, mix it correctly then apply it to a superb standard...regardless of which make of paint was used.
I've had work done using all the usual makes (Sikkens, PPG, ICI etc...I think that was the makes...I'm no paint sprayer!) and the result has always been perfect.

The standard of prep, and skill of the painter seem to matter more...

rule of thumb is 60 quid a panel and bumpers are normally 100 quid

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell!
Not up here it's not...to get a decent job...approx £100-150 per panel...bumpers probably £150-200 (depending on colour and paint make up etc)

I've had a quote to respray my front bumber, sort a parking dent on the rear wheel arch, touch up all stone chips and repaint some parking damage on the rear bumper and for a good job it was going to be around £800 but this was from a VERY well respected body shop.

That's cheap...
As long as it's a good job...I'd be taking him up on that offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Had work done before buy this place..they do a top job.

I think they used to have the contract to spray the Ultimas.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell!
Not up here it's not...to get a decent job...approx £100-150 per panel...bumpers probably £150-200 (depending on colour and paint make up etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a cash in hand price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[ QUOTE ]

this is a cash in hand price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah...through the books.
Sadly, decent bodyshops around here are getting less and less likely to go cash in hand...they have more than enough work as it is..so they don't need to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif