S3 Bucket Seats

Spook

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether the new S3 bucket seats can have the electric lumbar support option added?

While on the subject, does anyone know why these seats don't include side airbags?
Do the seats in the RS4 include them?

This is worrying, since the side airbags are considered to be hugely effective at preventing severe injuries.

Guys, How about a quick search of the forum...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31684&highlight=bucket+seats

Its been discussed and researched already. Hopefully I'll get to see my new car tomorrow, which has buckets.... :meeting: Yippee!

As to missing airbags I can't believe its going to be a problem in a side impact, with those bolsters and curtain airbags I think its safe to assume you are not going to go anywhere...

I wouldn't assume anything!

I have seen far too many crashes where cars have driven into the side of others...do you think a side bolster and curtain airbag (on the roofline) will stop a ton and a half car travelling at whatever speed hitting you in the drivers door?

Does not have to be your driver error, there are plenty idiots out there!

Agreed mate! Off course passive safety devices are good but I hope I never need them at all because that would be a very bad sign... More interested in driving dynamics and active safety devices... The number of airbags won't change my buying, what I mean is if there's only one airbag less it would not change my buy because of that, otherwise we all would be driving Volvos!

Pedro

JamS3 said:
I wouldn't assume anything!

I have seen far too many crashes where cars have driven into the side of others...do you think a side bolster and curtain airbag (on the roofline) will stop a ton and a half car travelling at whatever speed hitting you in the drivers door?

Does not have to be your driver error, there are plenty idiots out there!

Neither will a side airbag, I reckon. It's pretty reasonable to assume your body will be kept in place by the buckets, if the curtain airbag protects your head then IMHO you're well covered...

SamurAchzar said:
Neither will a side airbag, I reckon. It's pretty reasonable to assume your body will be kept in place by the buckets, if the curtain airbag protects your head then IMHO you're well covered...

A side airbag helps with the impact and transfer of force, don't you think all cars would have side bolsters if they were so good and cheaper!

Have you ever seen a car spin off the road and go side on into a lampost...not a pretty sight.

In side impacts its a almost certain there will be pelvic injuries depending on the speed, this is why you have airbags!

Can't believe Audi charge 2 grand and leave these things out!

But then, I think they are also omitted on the RS4. Surely Audi had a good reason, other than costs, to leave them out.

A side airbag IMHO is good to prevent yourself to slam against the side of the car during an accident. It won't be needed if you are fixed to your seat.

I'd like to hear the different opinions about it anyway; In case I go with the S3, these seats seem like something too nice to pass on, but I wouldn't make any compromises on safety just for coolness.

SamurAchzar said:
A side airbag IMHO is good to prevent yourself to slam against the side of the car during an accident. It won't be needed if you are fixed to your seat.

They side bolsters are not that good to keep you pinned in your seat if in a crash, your body won't just move directly to the right if in the drivers seat and be stopped by a side bolster!

That and the lack of adjustment put me off.

Audi have actually compensated for the loss of the side airbags in the RS4 as the airbags in that car totally cover the front windscreen, rear window, and totally cover the side windows and a pillars!

However not in the S3.

JamS3 said:
Audi have actually compensated for the loss of the side airbags in the RS4 as the airbags in that car totally cover the front windscreen, rear window, and totally cover the side windows and a pillars!

However not in the S3.

Good info - where is this taken from?

Directly off the Audi website, seems they have compensated for a lack of side airbag in the RS4 with all the technology above but don't seem to have in the S3!!

Either that or not explained the system in the S3 well enough!

Ok, I've read Audi's RS4 safety features. They say that due to the seat structure, the RS4 complies with the side impact safety regulations even without side airbags, and indeed the curtain system covers the head.

Here:

"RS body-contoured seat
The RS bucket seat hugs your body’s contours so precisely that the official side crash requirements have been satisfied without the use of side airbags. It adjusts to your body shape, with inflatable lateral support and adjustable side sections, seat back and seat cushions."

The regular A3 (and presumably, the S3) shares the same principal of full-coverage curtain system, so I guess the S3 is the same story as the RS4, at least from Audi's standpoint.

Here's the bit about SIDEGUARD:

"SIDEGUARD®
In the event of a side impact, side airbags will activate, preventing occupant injury. The head-level airbag covers the entire front and rear side-window including the A-post area."

To my understanding, they are referring to the side airbags first, and to the curtain system in the second sentence.

This is a very interesting and enjoyable debate. It just proves what you can learn by being on this forum; for instance, I had no idea that that the buckets passed the side impact regs without the need for side airbags - very interesting.

Does anyone actually have the buckets now, and can tell me what they are like for comfort (particularly in the lumbar area) and durability compared the the standard S3 sports seats?

Also, I note from the previous thread on the subject mentioned above that Audi confirmed to AL B that electric lumbar is available on the S3 bucket seats! My confusion deepens!! :think:

I have an S3 with the standard leather seats but yesterday I sat in one with the buckets in a showroom.
The buckets were comfy and you were very well supported. I almost felt that I was sitting in a rally car. The car had done 900 miles and there did not appear to be any wear.
A bit harder to get in and out than the standard seats.
The only downside from what I could see was the poor access to the rear.
I always push my seat right back so that I do not rub on the bolsters getting in and out. I have also got a couple of false hips so I need lots of room!! This would cause major probs to anyone in the back as the seat did not appear to move forward on the runners. You might have to do it by pulling on the lever that normally lives under the left leg.

prt57.

I have bucket seats but my car will only be delivered this Tuesday... FreddieS3 has them and he has covered lots of miles by now... He is the guy to ask...

PEdro

Have a look on YouTube and do a search on the new S3, there is a german car review on there which highlights the poor access to the rear and the wear issue to the side bolsters that apparently many RS4 owners are complaining about.