1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Boost Gauge

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Seizure, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Seizure

Seizure Member

After a boost gauge, but I don't want to mount an after market one in the car and take away from the OE look.

Have seen some LED style boost gauges mounted in the clocks, at least they are a bit more subtle. Anyone have any links to someone that sells them and an idea of the price? Not afraid of dismantling the clocks to fit it, done that before. Just don't want a stupid 52mm boost gauge spoiling the dash.

Cheers
  2. AndyM

AndyM Member

Is this the sort of thing youre looking for here other option is to use the DIS to display boost EFU
  3. Add7

Add7 Member

go to google and type enhanced DIS
  4. StephenBogan

StephenBogan Member

Seizure, know the one your on about. Green LED's inside the rev counter. Looks the muts. Think this was an extremely expensive option thought and thats why most go for a pillar mount.

There is a thread about the gauge mentioned. Try a search for Boost Gauge, sure it'll come up.
  5. tombee

tombee New Member

I love the DIS one! Thats what i will be going for ... all OEM looking!
  6. Seizure

Seizure Member

[​IMG]

This is the type I had my eye on, but at $235-$265 I may well give it a miss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Especially with all the hassle of installation. If it were cheaper, I'd consider it and go for the 25psi set-up.

DIS idea sounds cool, but I'm not a fan of constantly changing figures flashing in front of you. Now if they could make the DIS show an analogue gauge..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  7. dummi

dummi smoking a6

wow has anyone got the DIS one working? how is it to get up and running?
  8. dummi

dummi smoking a6

more to the point which companies can do this
  9. Seizure

Seizure Member

[ QUOTE ]
    dummi said:
    more to the point which companies can do this

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the links left by AndyM
  10. dummi

dummi smoking a6

cool,

nice mk2 seizure how long it take u, what sort of difficulties did u find?
  11. Seizure

Seizure Member

Australian, but at least you can understand it. No mention of price either.

http://www.amtuning.com.au/enhanced_dis.html

Thinking about it, the ideal would be the boost and A/F reading in the rev counter and the additional info supplied by the enhanced DIS. Hate the fact the S3 doesn't show oil temp. Even my daily hack Jetta GTi 16v did that.

Dummi - Just over two years off and on at weekends. Was having to teach myself as I went cos it's the first car I've every really modidified. Everything was a PITA to fit - Nothing just dropped in. Saying that, I'd do it again, now I know the pitfalls and the shortcuts. I reckon I could do it in a few months if I had all the bits I needed available.
  12. dummi

dummi smoking a6

i'm thinking of doing something similar, to keep me out of trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i have a mk2 jetta syncro, and the 20valve turbo seems a popular conversion, would be a great light weight thing to kick about, my other cars weigh plus minus 2 tonnes and i don't get the same feel

do you have any advice for a newbie for conversions? i have spotted a nice s3 engine, gearbox and drivetrain from an internally fire damaged 2000 s3,

did you find any literature or workshop manuals to help you out? i've been looking can't find anything on the s3

cheers mate

i'd luv to see your completed project sometime

Dummi
  13. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

the idea of a g-force meter sounds good for Meets especially if it could take the lateral readings from the ESP for cornering G's - good for bragging LOL
  14. Seizure

Seizure Member

[ QUOTE ]
    dummi said:
    i'm thinking of doing something similar, to keep me out of trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i have a mk2 jetta syncro, and the 20valve turbo seems a popular conversion, would be a great light weight thing to kick about, my other cars weigh plus minus 2 tonnes and i don't get the same feel

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You'd have to ditch the 020 Syncro gear though as it wouldn't be up to the job of taking the power from an S3. If you want AWD get the 02A running gear off a Rallye or a G60 syncro.

[ QUOTE ]
    dummi said:
    do you have any advice for a newbie for conversions? i have spotted a nice s3 engine, gearbox and drivetrain from an internally fire damaged 2000 s3,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed you're after the drive train too. Cool. From what I've heard the Haldex system is meant to be indestuctable in a MkII. Not doubt you boys would contradict that though. Erm, advice......yeah, work out what you think it'll cost and double it. That's if you're doing it yourself and want a decent conversion. Or expect to pay between £5K-£10K for it to be installed "professionally", and that doesn't usually include parts, depends on where you go. The problem with fire damaged cars is you haven't got clocks and keys, which makes running Audi management a PITA. You could go after market though, a lot easier to install, but then there is the expense. Also, after market won't run the Haldex. Although I believe there is a way to hard wire the unit so it runs permanent AWD i.e. the clutch never releases. Or just put the Rallye/G60 stuff on with a viscous coupling. Other than that, just make sure you uprate the car as a whole - brakes, chassis etc. Not just the engine, which it doesn't sound like your planning to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    dummi said:
    did you find any literature or workshop manuals to help you out? i've been looking can't find anything on the s3

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't any. I have wiring diagrams for an AMK lump, but other than that you're pretty much on your own. You can piece info together though, if you know where to look/who to ask. I'm happy to give you the benifit of my experience, whether it's right or wrong is a different matter.

[ QUOTE ]
    dummi said:
    i'd luv to see your completed project sometime

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're ever in Northampton...or at a show....
  15. dummi

dummi smoking a6

cool

i had it mind to plate the chassis add the roll cage just to tighten it up

yes thats a bugger about the interrior, i know a garage that can code the ECU to keys

hard wiring the haldex is an excellent idea as i'm used to and luv the feel of permanent 4WD

cheers i will be asking advice, even if you think its wrong it would be ACE to discuss it with someone who has done it before, it may save me a lot of grief!

i will be sure to visit you either in northampton or in the show season, i usually pass northampton in the show season any how

stay in touch!