S3 BHP figure?

rhys084

Reaction score
How accurate is the 265bhp figure for the S3?

The reason i ask is i've just picked one up and it feels a lot quicker than a car with "just" 265bhp! My father has had a Cayman S with 295bhp which i drove regularly and the S3 doesn't seem 30bhp down in comparison!

Its probably the power delivery and all the extra torque that makes the S3 feel so quick in comparison, They are usually good for 270+ straight from the factory.

The cayman may be slower in the real world but things would be different on track etc.

Well 30 bhp is a significant but not huge difference, and the Porsche has much taller gearing a and can seem a bit weaker when accelerating initally.
Cayman S is definately the faster car, the S3 does put out 265PS or 261 bhp as advertised.

Last edited:
Its probably the power delivery and all the extra torque that makes the S3 feel so quick in comparison, They are usually good for 270+ straight from the factory.

The cayman may be slower in the real world but things would be different on track etc.

The Cayman S has 251 ft lb though so with the weight difference (Cayman about 100kg lighter) i can't see that making a difference.

Your trying to compare a 3.4ltr 6cyl NA with a 2ltr Turbo. the power delivery will be totally different and the feel on the road will be down to torque and weight, not bhp.
the s3 is 183bhp/ton where as the Porker is 220bhp/ton.... but the real thing is torque. the poor old porker does 250lb/ft at 6000rpm where as the s3 does 250ib/ft at 2.500rpm.....and that is what makes it feel so much quicker.

A remapped S3 versus even the new 3.4s is yet another story feeling faster in every scenario, I know because I went through a "I want a Cayman.." phase and was lucky enough to blag one for the day, I then proceeded to drive the same routes in my mapped S3 and was quite shocked to note how much quicker terminal speed was prior to running out of test tarmac.

The Porsche sounded much better though, the wife then gave me a categorical NO so I moved on and now have no regrets having driven one in anger again recently, the Porsche is a superb car but aimed at a different market.

The S3 is a great luxury all rounder and its good to hear you were pleasantly surprised, I think most people are.

The Cayman S/Boxster S does have a really beautiful engine note, purely music to your ears, something we'll never have with the 20Ts. For the money though the interior is no where as nice as the Audi's, there pretty dull /cheap to be honest.